Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone batteries not user replaceable either

Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    SAN JOSE, Calif. - A consumer advocacy group has expressed outrage over Apple Inc.'s battery replacement program for the iPhone, while developers and hackers are trying to figure out ways they could expand the capabilities of the hot new gadget.

The hybrid cell phone, iPod media player and wireless Web-browsing device launched to much fanfare on June 29. On the same day, the Foundation for Consumer and Taxpayer Rights fired off a letter to Apple and AT&T Inc., the cell phone's exclusive carrier, complaining that customers were being left in the dark about the procedure and cost of replacing the gadget's battery.

The iPhone's battery is apparently soldered on inside the device and cannot be swapped out by the owner like most other cell phones.

Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Hakes said Thursday the company posted the battery replacement details on its Web site last Friday after the product went on sale.

Users would have to submit their iPhone to Apple for battery service. The service will cost users $79, plus $6.95 for shipping, and will take three business days.

The procedure is similar to the one it has for the company's best-selling iPod players, but because some users will not want to live without their cell phones, Apple is also offering a loaner iPhone for $29 while the gadget is under repair.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070705/....meuhWrkAI1vAI
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Just another reason on a long list to tell Apple to take a long walk off a short pier.

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Hehe, I have a two year old XDAIIi that appears to do everything the iPhone does.
    Sure the iP is likely faster and has a higher res screen but my PDA has wireless, infra-red and bluetooth connections, media player, phone, TomTom ()... and a replaceable battery.
    You can (probably) get a second hand one of these for $100 (£0.07 + cup of tea).
    Style over sense? Perhaps iP owners deserve what they get.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I guess Apple didn't learn from the same blunder with the iPod.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Unfortunately, there are people who will allow apple to stick it to them (with no vaseline) again and again and they're willing to pay big bucks for the privilege. There are many mp3 players better than the ipod yet the kiddies still want ipods.
    Last edited by Darth Sushi; 07-08-2007 at 01:55 PM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Learn what? That they can make such a blunder and booboothefool will still buy their product?

I say Apple did the right thing with the iPhone. If they can charge for "battery replacement service" they should do it since fools still buy the product.

It was rather shitty though that details of battery replacement were posted after it went on sale though. Users that don't like it should be able to take their iPhones back to AT&T and be released from their contract.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 07-08-2007 at 08:24 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    thought they would have learned from the ipod.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DoTaRhSN View Post
    thought they would have learned from the ipod.
    See above

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    You'd have thought they'd realise their mistake from the Ipod fiasco.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    You'd have thought they'd realise their mistake from the Ipod fiasco.

See above the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast