Thread: A question about the blind

slim150's Avatar Poster
    This is an honestly serious question that I have been extremely curious about, but do not have the nerve to ask. Not sure if this is the right section to post or not.

How do the blind know when to cross the street?

I noticed on several occasions a blind person alone at in intersection waiting for the signal to change, and when it does they correctly go into the street.

Now I would understand if there were a bunch of people with him/her so that they could hear them crossing too.

I also had an occasion where it was myself and a blind person at an intersection, and noone was remotely coming. Normally I would just walk even though it says not to, but I was afraid that that person would take his cue to start walking out there and get ran over.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    My guess is that the people you have witnessed are only partially blind. People who are completely blind are either accompanied by someone or have a guide dog.

Most crossings in the UK emit a sound when it is safe to cross. The pavement also has raised bumps to let blind people know the presence of a crossing.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by slim150 View Post
    This is an honestly serious question that I have been extremely curious about, but do not have the nerve to ask. Not sure if this is the right section to post or not.

How do the blind know when to cross the street?

I noticed on several occasions a blind person alone at in intersection waiting for the signal to change, and when it does they correctly go into the street.

Now I would understand if there were a bunch of people with him/her so that they could hear them crossing too.

I also had an occasion where it was myself and a blind person at an intersection, and noone was remotely coming. Normally I would just walk even though it says not to, but I was afraid that that person would take his cue to start walking out there and get ran over.
    They aren't completely blind. Legally blind is not necessarily blind.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Most crossings in the UK emit a sound when it is safe to cross. The pavement also has raised bumps to let blind people know the presence of a crossing.
    Same here, thought it was the same everywhere.

Maybe the OP is deaf.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    all the crosswalks i've been at have sound for the blind.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    quit a few also have a vibrating pad underneath the button you press to cross as well.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    myminpins's Avatar Poster
    In Canada, Nova Scotia, there are VERY VERY few crossings that emit a sound for the blind. I think I've been to three or four out of hundreds. It's not a common thing around here.

These people are probably not completely blind. Other than that, they'd hear traffic stop, etc.

One thing to note is that people who are completely blind often have VERY acute hearing and you'd be amazed how much they can "read" through their ears

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    quit a few also have a vibrating pad underneath the button you press to cross as well.
    Hmm, maybe the OP is a deaf leper