Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SuperTracker - The perfect BT site

Oh man, "filesharing" has become so deliciously convoluted. Pay for a better connection to get a better ratio, pay for a seedbox if that falls through. Sooner or later all trackers are going to be are a bunch guys with seedboxes uploading to each other at unnecessarily high speeds.

But yeah, I support this and stuff. Also, old article, I know, but further reading just in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://thoughtyard.com/twiki/bin/vie...blemWithRatios

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by sense View Post
    I think there needs to be a seed cap with popular, new torrents. This is so those people with poorer connections can at least have the chance to seed to 1:1. What that cap should be, 2 or 3, I am not so sure.

Another problem are those users whose sole purpose is to build a huge buffer so he can trade the account for a better rarer tracker.
    The problem with this is that the accounts with those huge ratios are the ones with the fastest connections, which means faster downloading. While it would be good for the people with slow connections who want maintain their ratio/"share back", it would be but bad for the people they're uploading to. And would go against the sites who pride themselves on their fast download speeds.
    Last edited by nanajeebus; 07-10-2007 at 03:18 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Download speeds are a critical topic, that's true. The lower the allowed overseed cap is, the faster people disappear from torrents and what's left is the standard group of people with smaller connections. If that is what you desire, you will most likely find a similar constellation on public trackers. And that's not really good advertising for a private tracker

The problem is: people who are overseeding help the tracker with faster speeds but they also hurt a part of the users who have slower connections.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    bblogs's Avatar Damn Straight. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    That's the point of having a base seeder/leecher ratio, because it directly controls the speed....

A site owner could set the S/L ratio to 50, and the entire system would still work well...and with awesome speeds (it would just only be possible for high bandwidth users.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12