Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tv-out Card To Purchase?

Ok having thought long and hard about this ive decided to buy my
    1st Tv-out card, but which one question.gif

The thing is my modo does NOT have a AGP slot only PCI.

I want i top quality output to my 32in tv screen for watching my .avi's/dvd's etc, so your advive is very much needed

Ive spent the last hr or so browsing the net and came up with these,please
    let me know if there any good:

1.Nvidia TNT2 M64 32MB PCI Video Card with TV-OUT.

2.Gainward Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 64MB PCI *

3.ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Video Card

Also i considered buying a PC-to-TV scan converter but someone
    said the pic quality is rubbish!

* This ones favourite at the mo due to some good reviews ive seen.

Any others i should consider?

Thanks all

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Of the 3 choices you have, I'd go with #3 - ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Video Card
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by CornerPocket@18 June 2003 - 19:12
    Of the 3 choices you have, I'd go with #3 - ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Video Card
    Thanks CornerPocket, i'll jot that one down

I'll have a look on the net to see if i can get some user reviews on this baby

Dont want to throw my money away!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by CornerPocket@18 June 2003 - 12:12
    I agree...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Spindulik+18 June 2003 - 20:35--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 18 June 2003 - 20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CornerPocket@18 June 2003 - 12:12
    Of the 3 choices you have, I&#39;d go with #3 - ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Video Card
    I agree... [/b][/quote]
    Ohhh... thats two for the ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Video Card

It&#39;s looking like the big winner here (pitty it doesnt have a remote)

Also ive seen a few user reviews from Amazon
    and it seems to get the thumbs up, although they mention possible problems
    occuring with onboard gfx and winXP, which i have.

Doesnt look a big problem tho.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by bronco@18 June 2003 - 13:05
    Also ive seen a few user reviews from Amazon
    and it seems to get the thumbs up, although they mention possible problems
    occuring with onboard gfx and winXP, which i have.

Doesnt look a big problem tho.
    onboard graphics is a problem anytime you&#39;re trying to use an upgrade graphics card. if you&#39;re able to access the motherboard&#39;s BIOS and disable the onboard graphics or select the PCI card as the main graphics chip, that&#39;s the ideal situation.

if you can&#39;t access that option in the BIOS, you may be able to get it to work by simply installing the card and disabling the onboard graphics in Windows&#39; device manager. the drawback is that the PCI card may not be able to display anything until Windows finishes booting up and sorting the drivers and settings to figure out which graphics chip is going to be used.

i would also recommend using an ATI Radeon card. people can debate the merits of Nvidia vs ATI cards for video game purposes (i.e. which one is faster with 3D games), but ATI cards win hands-down in 2D desktop and TV picture quality. Nvidia cards are very hit-or-miss as far as picture quality goes, depending on which company assembled the cards.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Al though it isn&#39;t on your list the ati all in wonder 128 pro comes in pci. I would recomend that over the other cards because the all in wonders are designed for video out and video in.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by neevakee@19 June 2003 - 02:51
    Al though it isn&#39;t on your list the ati all in wonder 128 pro comes in pci. I would recomend that over the other cards because the all in wonders are designed for video out and video in.

3RA1N1AC, yeah i read about this and apparently if you do it correctly you can get it to work fine.

The info i seen was to disable the on onboard gfx via the device manager, like you mention.It went on to say everything works fine
    if you do this
    Hmm missed this one.

I&#39;ll check it out, i really dont want to get a cr@p one.

@3RA1N1AC, yeah i read about this and apparently if you do it correctly you can get it to work fine.

The info i seen was to disable the on onboard gfx via the device manager, like you mention.It went on to say everything works fine
    if you do this

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I am tired of burning my movie files onto cds and having a/v sync problems when i play them on my dvd/vcd/mp3 player. So I want to go the route of pc to tv. which in any ones opinion would be the best, a video card with tv out or a wireless pc to tv converter?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by leevirg@20 June 2003 - 12:16
    I am tired of burning my movie files onto cds and having a/v sync problems when i play them on my dvd/vcd/mp3 player. So I want to go the route of pc to tv. which in any ones opinion would be the best, a video card with tv out or a wireless pc to tv converter?
    Not saying its the best but I use Tornado GeForce 4 MX440 SE (64mb) SDR-
    Paid about 30Quid for it and it works just great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast