Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im Going Insane

OMG 6days and i havent gottin anything done. Im using slackware9.1 and for the past week have been trying to install hardware and software (CUPS,xine,wine,giftoxic,giftcurs, list goes on) and absoultly NOTHINg installed. I COPIED AND PASTED THE EXACT COMMANDS TO USE and still nothing.

"./configure" this
    "make install" that

i desperatly need to get work done. can someone plez tell me a good newb guide( and i mean most detailed, descriptive help there is) or a different distro (plez dont say suse,lycrosis,redhat,mandrake)

if i cant get it working by friday and i have to switch back to winxp.geez i really dont want to go back but what would you do if you didnt have sound(ac97), printer, mic, webcam, games, p2p software, internet apps and no scroll ability with the mouse(i really like scrolling).

btw
    dual boot isnt an option( i need a singular and permanent os)

-thanx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    I thought you said Linux sucked?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Try Red Hat. It seems to be the most up to date to handle the hardware you mentioned.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Im using slackware9.1
    there is no slackware 9.1

still slackware is a bastard to use i would either switch to red hat or dual boot with xp for a while.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i think u should try red hat

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    poor SSS he asked for help with slackware and we tell him to use another os even though he said he does not want it.

http://www.tldp.org/ the linux documentation project has a few guides. something like 289 megs worth.

i would also read the installation instructions for any software carefully before you install they are a life saver and contain hints for most common problems.

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html also read through there for a bit of a guide to using bash.

owwww a new stable kernel.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Got a lot of time to waste? If so, try Gentoo linux. It's a source based distro so you have to configure, download, and compile everything from scratch. The up side to this is you have the most tweaked and optomized OS you can get catering to your hardware. Want to download an update or a new program or whatever? It's as simple as typing emerge packagename. It will download all the dependencies and everything and compile it. I've tried Redhat and Mandrake but got rid of it and went back to windows within a week of installing because it was so bloated and dependencies were hell. Also, Gentoo has the most informative installation guide I have ever seen. The people on the forums seem to be really nice too. I was messing around with the installation in virtual pc to try what distro I wanted to start Linux with and liked what I saw. When my new harddrive comes in, I'll be installing this and having a dual boot setup. Website is here.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I thought you said Linux sucked?
    yea but then i apologized in the orignal post

thanx for the suggestions, especially the tutorials.

i guess i can borrow win98 and dual boot(i really dont want tothough) until linux has better support for my hardware/software or until im a bit more proficent

thanx fellas

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    oh yea...i'll try gentoo and RH next month.i dont want to go over my monthly internet bandwidth. gotta save atleast 150mb for my online gaming.

STARCRAFT AND UT2003 ALL THE WAY!!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Ahahaha, must suck to have a bandwidth cap Thank god my ISP doesnt have that crap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast