Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen goes black after startup and randomly during use.

thecreator89's Avatar EFFYOUsion, biotch
    hey guys, my home computer's been giving problems recently.

During startup, just as XP loads the blue login screen, the monitor goes black. Sometimes there will be a click or something.

The monitor goes black during normal use at random times. I'm in college, and it only happened once when I was at home. The screen just goes black. The monitor goes on standby.

I was typing a paper, and lost everything. The music stopped too.

Is this a mobo issue?

its a 2004 dell. (no ragging on dell please... I hate them too.)
    <<<FIRE>>><<<FOR>>><<<EFFECT>>>
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core
    ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
    Corsair 2x512MB PC3200
    XFX Nvidia 7600GT 256MB
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    Samsung 940b-19" 8ms 700:1

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Usually when the screen goes black for a short time accompanied by a clicking sound, thats the Video Card reseting itself for what ever reason. Often you will experience this when you first load drivers and the card is configuring itself. It also happens when you change your resolution and is followed by an accept or no window.

The first thing I would try is to remove any overclocking that may have occured whether by design or accident. While starting the PC hold down the CTRL key until windows loads, that is a common reset for graphics cards that have been OverClocked too far. You can also go into the bios (Del key during boot) and set System Default Values to reset memory and cpu settings to normal. If that doesn't do it read further.

The last thing you want to think of is a bad board, mother or video. So what I would suggest is a little practical maintenance. Shut down both the monitor and PC completely even if you have to unplug them to be sure. Remove and replug the monitor cable at the back of the PC and make certain the connections at the monitor itself are fully plugged in (LCD Monitors where the plugs go up and into the bottom of the unit have a tendancy to slide down). Open the PC side and remove the screw for the video card (skip this if your onboard video) and remove the card (best done while the monitor is unplugged) wipe the gold tabs with some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip or kleenex and dry then replace the card (no alcohol? just wipe with paper then). Newer motherboards have a locking mechanism at the back of the AGP or PCI-E slot, use a flashlight to get a good look at it, some press in towards the card some are more like a memory lock down and move away from the card. Don't force the card out, look for that lock. Older Agp slots didn't have the locking mechanism and cards would work free from vibration, so if your mobo is old all you may have to do is to push the card back in and it may solve your problem.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 07-20-2007 at 10:35 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    The clicking noise could simply be the HDD powering down.

I suspect that the problem is more likely to be with the PSU, lack of output to the monitor being just a symptom of the system shutting down. You may be able to check this by looking at the lights on the case.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mikechrobot's Avatar Trader Hater BT Rep: +2
    what happens after the screen goes black, does the computer reset or does it keep on working after a few seconds?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thecreator89's Avatar EFFYOUsion, biotch
    i think its the hard drive. screen goes blank (music stops playing abruptly as well) and hard drive makes a clicking noise for a few seconds, and then nothing. the computer is on, but its effectively dead in the water.

However, Mobo seems OK, able to stay in BIOS as long as i want.

Is it software (maybe virus?) or time for a new hD?
    <<<FIRE>>><<<FOR>>><<<EFFECT>>>
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core
    ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
    Corsair 2x512MB PC3200
    XFX Nvidia 7600GT 256MB
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    Samsung 940b-19" 8ms 700:1

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I was having this same problem and after I took the graphic card out the problem went away. So it's either a card going bad or powersupply issue, I suspect.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Usually when the screen goes black for a short time accompanied by a clicking sound, thats the Video Card reseting itself for what ever reason. Often you will experience this when you first load drivers and the card is configuring itself.
    What part of a vid card is capable of making a "click", much less any sound at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by thecreator89
    During startup, just as XP loads the blue login screen, the monitor goes black. Sometimes there will be a click or something.

The monitor goes black during normal use at random times. I'm in college, and it only happened once when I was at home. The screen just goes black. The monitor goes on standby.

Is this a mobo issue?

I think lynx has your answer- no surprise there, really.
    If possible, substitute another PSU and see if the problem persists.

No one should rag on Dell as a matter of course BTW, nor should you feel the need to apologize for your ownership.
    Just cause they're big doesn't make them bad...necessarily.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    What part of a vid card is capable of making a "click", much less any sound at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by thecreator89

Is this a mobo issue?

I think lynx has your answer- no surprise there, really.
    If possible, substitute another PSU and see if the problem persists.

No one should rag on Dell as a matter of course BTW, nor should you feel the need to apologize for your ownership.
    Just cause they're big doesn't make them bad...necessarily.

-bd

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Its not the video card that clicks, its the monitors power relay as it turns it off and back on with the new resolution followed by a little window that asks if you want to accept this change. I never said the video card clicks you ASSumed it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Usually when the screen goes black for a short time accompanied by a clicking sound, thats the Video Card reseting itself for what ever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien
    Its not the video card that clicks, its the monitors power relay as it turns it off and back on with the new resolution followed by a little window that asks if you want to accept this change. I never said the video card clicks you ASSumed it.
    Oh...my bad.
    I can't see how I made a mistake like that.

Senior moment, apparently.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast