Thread: Please Help

Poster
    Okay so I bought my computer i while back and it came with a partitioned hd. The C:\ drive is the normal drive and then i have a D:\ drive that has all the original software backed up. I need to know how to backup all the software off the D:\ drive onto cd. And then i would like to take the partition out so i can use that extra space 5 Gigs.. My C:\ drive is in NTFS and the D:\ drive is in FAT32. So basically I'm asking how to backup my software on cd and take out the partition? Thx 4 ne and all help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I'm gonna take a guess that you're using a Compaq...

Anyway, I'm not sure how they do their partitions, but what I would do is try to split the stuff into 700 meg chunks, and then burn them to CD's, or burn to a DVD if you have a burner...

Then, use fdisk, or Partition magic, or something like that to combine the partitions...if you use fdisk, you'll have to reformat...unfortunately, I can't help with the actual process of using partition magic...i have never actually done it, but i know people who have successfully done it without reformatting...just follow the instructions with the program....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    well i have an HP and i had the same problem...my solution u ask ???? deleted the backup info and did a clean install of xp pro...deleting that partition and integrating it....you can backup your data using xp's backup or any other addon program...in my case all the drivers hp put on my partition were outdated....what i'm saying is back your system up yourself...no need to waste about 3.5 gigs of space in the D: drive

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Yeah mine's a HP also and that sounds like it would be the easiest but I haven't ever had to use the BIOS how do I re-install windows xp and if I do this then anything not backed up would be gone right?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yes, anything that is not backed up would be lost...Usually with winxp this isn't a problem, since it has pretty good driver support. Plus, the software that comes with packaged computers usually sucks...

You also shouldn't have to deal with the bios, unless you can't get the computer to boot from the winxp CD, in which case, it's a just a simple change in the boot device in the bios...