Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlon64 View Post
    They'll have no choice eventually. Seeing as how GN is one of the biggest usenet providers it gonna happen sooner or later.

They should think about lowing the price at least $5 to bing in new people. Their prices have been the same for far to long.
    It would be cool if they dropped their prices. However, most companies don't "drop" their prices for a service after its been stable for a period of time.

If anything it will go up.

-bd

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Great News !!!

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by BigH View Post
    but what's the point of 200 days retention if the search engines don't keep up

Newzbin is still at 100 days, and when I asked them, they responded that they had no plans to increase
    There's the 'rub', you're exactly correct, and (one) of the reasons Newzbin (continued problems with their 'v3' is another) has become less and less of a good resource; I find myself using sites like here more, simply because, even with a way smaller user base and folks posting 'finds', I find that listings are actually MORE accurate and catch a lot that Newzbin misses completely, even though I have to trudge through the (for me) semi-useless listings of vhs-quality XVID and other recoded types (it would be nice if there were separate sections for each type of 'system', including the HD and standard dvdr, but...).

The indexing sites will eventually catch up, I remember when the listings only went back 30 days, so....

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Holy f*ck. I was just about to drop them and go with usenetserver and their 100 day retention. I'm actually in the midst of their 3 day trial. Not as fast as giganews (only 2-3MB/s). I think this is going to keep me with giganews now,

I agree with you Beck38, my account at newzbin recently ran out and I haven't done anything yet. I've just been sticking with here and binsearch.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    The only problem there is binsearch has 120 day retention. Hell, newzleech only has 100 day retention. And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by erRor67 View Post
    The only problem there is binsearch has 120 day retention. Hell, newzleech only has 100 day retention. And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.
    If you select the "show all" option when using binsearch, you'll get results greater than 120 days. I've seen 150+ for some searches.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.
    I haven't once used the nzb's here, I always use either a search site or the built-in search function in my newsreader (uses indexing on Giganews) to generate the nzb's. What this listings here 'should' do is list the 'rar' pattern (like 'mymovie.partxxx.rar' as that's all one really needs to actually go out and generate it; I'm leary of most any 'posted' nzb's as I've tripped across too many that have had major 'holes' in them (parts listed but not actually posted).

Then the space required would be very minimal; most dvd5 nzb's are over a MB in size, dvd9's are of course double that. The listing with graphic maybe takes up, what, 10k? Maybe that's something the site operators should think about, keep the uploaded nzb around for a couple of weeks, then drop it to just the 'hint'. Then the listings could be really huge; but would need better 'organization', like I commented earlier. Maybe an idea that can be 'kicked around'.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.
    I haven't once used the nzb's here, I always use either a search site or the built-in search function in my newsreader (uses indexing on Giganews) to generate the nzb's. What this listings here 'should' do is list the 'rar' pattern (like 'mymovie.partxxx.rar' as that's all one really needs to actually go out and generate it; I'm leary of most any 'posted' nzb's as I've tripped across too many that have had major 'holes' in them (parts listed but not actually posted).

Then the space required would be very minimal; most dvd5 nzb's are over a MB in size, dvd9's are of course double that. The listing with graphic maybe takes up, what, 10k? Maybe that's something the site operators should think about, keep the uploaded nzb around for a couple of weeks, then drop it to just the 'hint'. Then the listings could be really huge; but would need better 'organization', like I commented earlier. Maybe an idea that can be 'kicked around'.
    This would be like FTD then?

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by sp0ngeb0b View Post
    Holy f*ck. I was just about to drop them and go with usenetserver and their 100 day retention. I'm actually in the midst of their 3 day trial. Not as fast as giganews (only 2-3MB/s). I think this is going to keep me with giganews now,

I agree with you Beck38, my account at newzbin recently ran out and I haven't done anything yet. I've just been sticking with here and binsearch.
    hmm, sp0ngeb0b, I get more accurate and reliable speeds from usenetserver (5+ Mbps) than giganews. and it's cheaper. just my thought.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    cyanidexxx
    Sounds great but I'll stick with 45 days retention at 12 bucks a month with newshosting. I really dont see need for having 200 days of retention, that would make for some lonnnnnng searches with newsleecher. If I miss something in 45 days, I'll just make a request.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast