Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

Poster BT Rep: +1

Tongue

200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

Giganews has completed its third significant storage upgrade of the year which will increase binary retention day by day through the end of the summer to 200 days! Giganews continues to hold text newsgroup articles indefinitely and as a result Giganews' retention in text newsgroups is well over 1400 days.

This latest upgrade comes just two months after Giganews announced 120 day retention in binary groups and only four months after Giganews announced 100 day retention in binary newsgroups.

"This recent push to 200 days retention fits into our normal cycle of perpetual upgrades. Traditionally we haven't increased retention by as large a margin as we are during this current upgrade; however, we have decided to accelerate our upgrade cycle so that we can continue to lead Usenet and provide more value for our customers. By nearly doubling our storage capacity Giganews is investing in our service so our customers can continue to enjoy the best Usenet experience possible." said David Vogelpohl, Giganews' Vice President of Marketing and Sales.

This retention upgrade follows closely after a series of additional security offerings, utility releases, and other value additions to the Giganews service.
    Encrypted Usenet Access

In late 2006, Giganews deployed 256-Bit SSL Encrypted Usenet Access over port 563, which was quickly expanded to offer support over port 443. 256-Bit SSL encryption allows Giganews customers to browse and download headers and articles in a private, secure, and anonymous environment with similar performance they would expect from an unsecured connection. Encrypted Usenet access is included with all Diamond accounts and can be added as an upgrade to all other accounts.
    Retention

Thanks to Giganews' recent upgrade, binary article retention will grow from 120 days to 200 days over the coming weeks. Customers will not need to make any configuration changes to enjoy increased retention.
    Source: http://www.giganews.com/news/article...n-200days.html

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    nice to hear but the retention is getting uselessly high imo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Member BT Rep: +2
    No kidding. I'd become a subscriber if they focused on lowering their prices. With moves like this, it won't happen anytime soon.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Cool. I like it

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    OOOOO MMMMMMMYYYYYYYY (insert deity here)

Okay, who's taking bets on when the 365day/1year barrier will be breached?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Still have a long way to go to reach the 200 mark. Currently averages 124 days of retention per binary group.

But it will get there. Giganews ALWAYS delivers.

I never experienced any outage with Giganews.
    Always getting top speed from them.
    The Giganews Accelerator for downloading headers, after a shaky start, is now working perfectly for me.

Yes, it's a bit pricey. But they're the best.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Up until 2 years ago, I had one of the 'lower price spreads' for a handful of years, after keeping with ISP servers for many years before that (on dial-up, way before movie postings). But I got tired of chasing fills (but there were lots more servers selling bulk d/l's rather than 'just unlimited' which is the line today) and went with GN and never looked back.

I've always benchmarked PC costs with the cost of storage, and I still remember my first 'large' drive, 120MB scsi, in 1989, at around $1300 (with interface card). For that $1300 today, not even figuring inflation, would get one a 4TB array or thereabouts, with 750MB SATA Seagates, including enclosure.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster
    but what's the point of 200 days retention if the search engines don't keep up

Newzbin is still at 100 days, and when I asked them, they responded that they had no plans to increase

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    They'll have no choice eventually. Seeing as how GN is one of the biggest usenet providers it gonna happen sooner or later.

They should think about lowing the price at least $5 to bing in new people. Their prices have been the same for far to long.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Hmm, I've still waiting til nothing is ever deleted online and is always available!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast