Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite MLB baseball team?

DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Mets is not short for Metropolitans? I sure thought it was. So whats it short for then?
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

2. Sports Club   -   #22
    The current Mets isn't short for anything they are just called the Mets.

Back in the day, before 1900, there was a pro baseball team in NY called the Metropolitan Baseball Club of New York.

The current 'Mets' is just a homage to that team, though it is not short for Metropolitans, as many think.

3. Sports Club   -   #23
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Good to know.

I just wiki'd the Mets and interestingly enuff, they almost went with "skyliners" as their name. The NY Skyliners. Has a nice ring to it.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

4. Sports Club   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    Good to know.

I just wiki'd the Mets and interestingly enuff, they almost went with "skyliners" as their name. The NY Skyliners. Has a nice ring to it.
    That isn't bad. Though now it just seems like a ABA basketball team name, than a baseball team name.

5. Sports Club   -   #25
    MaaxHimself's Avatar ‡ Borat Sagdiyev ‡ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Astros

6. Sports Club   -   #26
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I was a giants fan until they decided to keep barry bonds. Now im an astros fan.

7. Sports Club   -   #27
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    Mets is not short for Metropolitans? I sure thought it was. So whats it short for then?

Mets is short for Metropolitans (although you wouldn't say the metropolitans are playing the cubs...it is more of a respect thing.) This is correct.

P.S CUBS FAN!!!
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 08-10-2007 at 02:03 AM.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

8. Sports Club   -   #28
    natedogg's Avatar R.I.P. Nate Dogg :(
    i hate the yankees too, it all about the giants, even tho they suck

9. Sports Club   -   #29
    user2000's Avatar DARE FOR MORE!!!! BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    the Yankees

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123