Thread: Why is my upload speed top at 180ish kb/s with UTORRENT when I can upload at 1000 kbs

Diamond Dealer BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I have a 2 Mbit download and when I test my upload speed it says I can upload 1Mbit but Utorrent only allows me to top at 180ish kb/s for uploading with Comcast cable services and I also take my computer in an area where you have to subscribe to CableOne service and I can top out at 230 kb/s upload speed . When I used ABC client I had no problem uploading my max but it wasn't a good client for downloading. With Utorrent it is the opposite. I tried every possible solution I could think of with the preferences but it will not allow me to upload 1Mbit speed. It really is a nuisance to get a good ratio on the sites in a decent amount of time.
    Does anyone know why my upload speed only will top at 180ish kb/s upload speed and will Utorrent allow me to upload at 1 Mbit speeds?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    0sec's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +5
    Its simple.
    1mbit = 120kb/s

cant understand how you can get about 200kb/s if you have a 1mbit upspeed

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    A bit does not equal a byte (as stated in my sig).

Also, just because you're seeding a torrent does not guarantee you will be able to seed it at your full upload speed. It depends on Seed to Leech ratios and whether or not there are many partial seeders on the torrent. Hop on TL and download a torrent with numbers like 22 Seeds 694 Leechers. You should be hitting close to top speeds there.

Another reason is that your ISP will give priority to speed test sites, which give you false readings. They basically lie to you so you don't notice you're being ripped off for bandwidth.

Or, maybe they're throttling you. Try putting encryption on in utorrent.

There's lots of reasons why your upload speeds suck, bittorrent isn't an exact science.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I understand what ur saying wit the seeder/leecher and I think I have to figure out the KB-kb-Mb-mb thing

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    necromantic's Avatar ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I posted this in another thread, it might help

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 0sec View Post
    Its simple.
    1mbit = 120kb/s

cant understand how you can get about 200kb/s if you have a 1mbit upspeed
    but how can I get 2,000+ kb/s download speed and only 180+ upload speed?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    most isps give u amazing download speeds and jip u on the upload speed. i've seen 15mb down and 2mb up. thats how cable works. give u a great download speed to fool u and then ur like, wheres my upload. its not there. Most cable people get even less than 2mb. Thats high for cable.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    yeah 2mbps is great for cable i agree

i have 900 upload kbps here , and they call that Extreme High Speed, pfffff

just remember that in Utorrent the speed is in kiloBytes (kB) not kilobits (kb)
    and that 8 bits = 1 bytes

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    0sec's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    just remember that in Utorrent the speed is in kiloBytes (kB) not kilobits (kb)
    and that 8 bits = 1 bytes
    Yeah that is what i've tryed to say

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    KevinGarnet's Avatar Filesharing lover BT Rep: +3
    maybe your ports are closed.. this is for a lot of people... UP speed is lower than they expected.. but if your internet is like you said so this your upload speed is really good and i don't see anything bad..