Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leechers

kgbad74
    Just new to k-lite its a great site is there any way of banning people who are not file sharing they slow the downloads of people who are good enough to share and my downloads also.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    How would you be able to tell?

The Privacy Patch stops you seeing the shared folder and list of files...but they are still sharing.

PL wont work, as K++ gives everyone PL1000 as a default, and anyone using a different Client program or older version of KaZaa or K-Lite shows as PL0.......neither means they arent sharing.

So in other words, no.

There is no way to tell if someone is leeching, therefor there is no way to cut them for leeching

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    Listen to what rat faced said its all true.

yet u wanna ban leeches but u will let people who share fake files u/p of u

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    If you spot those with @kazaa or with a Participation level of <25 who don&#39;t APPEAR to be sharing anything and are downloading from you at a rapid rate, they are most likely leeches if your uploads to everyone else is much slower. The privacy patch may hide their shared files from listing, but if they&#39;re sharing at the default speed of unlimited (and with too many uploads at once typically) they usually won&#39;t be getting a majority of your upload bandwidth if you have more than 10 KB/sec.

Fewer than half the people using Kazaa Lite++ use the privacy patch, despite what many here might say.

HOWEVER, there is a bug/networking glitch which can cause failed listings of files -- so you may think someone is a leech when they aren&#39;t. But it tends to affect overloaded connections FAR more than those who can download very fast (ie:leeches on broadband).

About the only leeches to worry about are the ones who are getting >50% of your upload bandwidth while everyone else suffers.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    SWITECK : About the only leeches to worry about are the ones who are getting >50% of your upload bandwidth while everyone else suffers.

and how would a person getting 50% of ya bandwidth be considered a leech..maybe the other 3 dloading from you are on 56k or cable and also dloading from many other ppl...i hope you didnt mean to indicate what was written and it was an honest misinterpretation on my part...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Switek. I am soon to have super fast broadband and will be sharing . According to your methods I will appear as a leacher because my downloads from you will be faster than that of others with slower connections.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by kenny g+22 June 2003 - 08:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kenny g &#064; 22 June 2003 - 08:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Switek. I am soon to have super fast broadband and will be sharing . According to your methods I will appear as a leacher because my downloads from you will be faster than that of others with slower connections.[/b]
    <!--QuoteBegin-randm01@22 June 2003 - 05:21
    SWITECK : About the only leeches to worry about are the ones who are getting >50% of your upload bandwidth while everyone else suffers.

and how would a person getting 50% of ya bandwidth be considered a leech..maybe the other 3 dloading from you are on 56k or cable and also dloading from many other ppl...i hope you didnt mean to indicate what was written and it was an honest misinterpretation on my part...
    [/quote]I meant leeches who were ALSO downloading from me VERY quickly... not leeches BECAUSE they are downloading from me quickly.

As in I CHECK to see that they&#39;re sharing files... and they don&#39;t APPEAR to be.
    AND their PL is <50 (or 1,000-8000, which is LESS than what KL++ gives in cheat mode)
    AND they are downloading from me at >50% of my upload bandwidth -- depsite me having 4+ OTHER uploads going at the same time.

Even if they&#39;re using the privacy patch, even if the majority of the other uploads are to &#39;overloaded&#39; connections... this still typically signifies a leech. Only a very-low-load connection (especially on the uploads side) can reply back syn acks fast enough (low latency as well&#33 to get so much of my upload bandwidth (on a 1st come, 1st serve basis depending on whose ACKs are received 1st.)

And if not, well that user has typically already gotten more bytes from me than everyone else combined -- so they aren&#39;t totally losing out if I disconnect them.

I almost never ip ban these people, as I expect them to come back later when I don&#39;t have many uploads going and won&#39;t mind as much. I&#39;d rather upload to a probable leech than not be uploading at all.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    And if not, well that user has typically already gotten more bytes from me than everyone else combined -- so they aren&#39;t totally losing out if I disconnect them.
    Well now that&#39;s gotta be the most sensible observation anyone has ever made in regard to leechers and blocking them&#33;&#33;&#33; Emule has that kind of cycling built in and it seems to work very well. Everyone gets a shot and there&#39;s nothing to get pissy about when they get dropped for the next in queue because thats just the best way to do it for everyone whether they&#39;re leeching or hiding or actually sharing.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by balamm*@22 June 2003 - 10:11
    Well now that&#39;s gotta be the most sensible observation anyone has ever made in regard to leechers and blocking them&#33;&#33;&#33; Emule has that kind of cycling built in and it seems to work very well. Everyone gets a shot and there&#39;s nothing to get pissy about when they get dropped for the next in queue because thats just the best way to do it for everyone whether they&#39;re leeching or hiding or actually sharing.
    Shareaza has a similar feature as well.

But for that to work properly, the network has to support the sharing of partial files -- otherwise you can end up with lots of people having >50% of a file but still only 1 source for it. (you&#33

BitTorrent I think does it best: rewards the fast uploaders (somewhat) while penalizing the slow ones... IF there&#39;s not enough sources for the file. If there&#39;s lots of seeds, then everyone gets to download fast.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Enough with this already. I mean, what is the big deal? I don&#39;t give a care about who is downloading from me. geezzzzzzzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast