Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All Possible Problems

yxuz's Avatar Learning To Conform
    I have sorted out all possible problems regarding this category of the forum.

If you know the solution to any of the following problems, kindly provide.
    If you face problems other than the following, post it out too.

1.searching
    For good quality movies, forget about those on cinema, cos they are either fake or vague. Try those already DVD released titles. They are usually around 700mb in size, and also check other identical files, whether they contain other movie titles or not, if yes, this movie is DEFINITELY fake.

2.downloading
    this is seldom a problem, if your ISP is decent and you just stay online with KL running. But it just happened to me one problem of unfinished file disappearing, when my computer sometimes gets unstable and resets itself.

3.watching
    Codecs arent a problem, we have so far 2 good codec packs, Nimo and K-lite, dont know which one is better so I installed both. And I still have problem with freezing frames, AVIDEFREEZER doesnt seem to be working.

4.splitting
    A movie file is always too big to squeeze in one CD, so we split it. Some ppl recommend AVISPLIT, but I can never get it working. Most ppl recommend VIRTUALDUB, but splitted files are often "nonsynchronous" (hope I used the right word) in its picture and sound, which means the movie character speaks and his voice comes out 2 seconds later or earlier. And yet virtualdub is still so popular. Later I tried NANDUB, which is very similar to VD, still has the same problem, though just slightly.

5.converting
    The other step is to convert the AVI format into MPG format, for burning. And this step takes the longest time, about 2 times the movie length (my experience).The recommended tool is TMPGEnc, but it is not free, I wonder if theres anything free for this purpose. And I am not sure which one is better, to convert first, or to split first? (I always split first)

6.burning
    Finally, we can burn. Nero has the AVI to MPG function, it runs automatically b4 burning. But sometimes it burns out upside down movies, so it is better to convert with some other nice tool yourself. And always burn with the lowest speed.

thanks for reading

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    jetje's Avatar former star
    except for the 1st one (movies can be out earlier, so called screeners)
    this is a pretty good post. I like to pin it because of that.
    I hope people put in some effort to post good answers and replies in this post regarding the mentioned stuff. Only then we can make a good pinned one.. B)

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    yxuz's Avatar Learning To Conform
    but do screeners have the good quality as DVD rips?

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Retired
    Originally posted by yxuz@20 June 2003 - 19:48
    but do screeners have the good quality as DVD rips?
    yes,
    But DVDscreeners often have in the bottom of the screen a small message that appears once in a while. And sometimes the movie goes black and white for 1 minute.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Nice post.

A couple of points.

Firstly, freezing frames.
    This is usually due to dropped frames through downloading and are quite common and easy to fix. It's also the reason why Tmpgenc sometimes freezes when encoding a movie. Anyway, KingJohn explains how to cope with them much better than I HERE.
    You'll need VirtualDub MP3 Freeze, available HERE.

Secondly, splitting and converting.
    I always find it easier to split movies at the same time as encoding using Tmpgenc's "source range" feature to split the movie in two or sometimes three parts. This way, i can have decent quality. A guide HERE (vcd) and HERE (svcd), remember to extract the audio to a seperate WAV file if working with Divx, Xivd, ASF or SMR, using Virtual Dub a guide HERE, this gets rid of those "nonsynchronous" movies.

Thirdly, burning.
    Important rule - Burn movies as slow as you can. Which for me means at 8x speed.
    My Cd-RW burns at up to 24X but i always use 8X for burning movies, it stops any "jerking" on playback of your movies and just gives generally a better end product. I can't stress this point enough.
    I only ever use Nero for burning, not because i think it's best, just because it's all i've ever used.
    Make sure you have the latest version, Nero 551028 i think, just search kazaa for it.
    Guide HERE (vcd) and HERE(svcd).
    DO NOT use the Nero avi to mpeg function, guess what, it burns movies upside down.... hehe.

Good Luck.

TMPGEnc Plus 2.59.47.155.exe+serial.

File:TMPGEnc Plus 2.59.47.155.exe
    Length:7105340Bytes,6939KB
    UUHash:=vQZeIWQammkkTAPAicBO8N7zBLo=

[BuZz]

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by pmbuzz@22 June 2003 - 15:48
    Thirdly, burning.
    Important rule - Burn movies as slow as you can. Which for me means at 8x speed.
    My Cd-RW burns at up to 24X but i always use 8X for burning movies, it stops any "jerking" on playback of your movies and just gives generally a better end product. I can't stress this point enough.
    Doyou mean just for burning SVCD or also for burning an avi?

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Originally posted by Benno@22 June 2003 - 20:36

Doyou mean just for burning SVCD or also for burning an avi?
    Both.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    WOW ... this is some good stuff. I have been d/ling for a while but only doing the movie thing for a few days. I had no clue ... until this thread.

This is the best "customer support" stuff on the net. Nobody supplies this type of assistance for any service around. Keep up the good work all!!!

Peace and love to all the contributors ... you are what makes this the best board on the market.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I would be interested in hearing possible causes of the dreaded "upside down movie" problem.
    I just developed it.
    Not only do the files play upside down but they are reversed as well. It's like you're watching from the backside of the screen.

I just did a clean install of the 2.4++ version of K-Lite and the latest test build of the codec pack. I have done a uninstall/reinstall of both programs with no success.
    VideoLan plays the file properly, but WMP9 and the BS player are fubar.

Any ideas?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Re: Upside down movie problem.

I solved my problem by rolling back my video driver and reinstalling. In the process I discovered that a file named 'VIAAGP1.sys" had gone walkies and needed to be replaced. That done I was able to install new, upgraded video drivers from ATI and all my problems disappeared.

Now I wish I knew why the problem occured, but as long as it's fixed I can live with the uncertainty.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast