Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbuster 1 & 2

Unsure

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some feedback about the classic film Ghostbusters 1 & 2. We were having a discussion about this at work and some said 2 was better than 1 and 1 was better than 2. I must admit for me it has to be 1 all the time. All though 2 was cool.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The second one was overwrought to the point of being painful.

One of the main problems with a lot of sequels is that the people behind them simply think that what worked in the first, when it was fresh will also work in the second ,when it's not, if they simply "amp" everything up to compensate for the inherent lack of creativity.

Another misguided notion is to expand the roles of secondary characters,who were probably secondary because they didn't have the appeal of the primary characters to begin with.

Also at least get the title right,ffs.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 01-31-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Who and who are dead?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787
    One of the main problems with a lot of sequels is that the people behind them simply think that what worked in the first, when it was fresh will also work in the second

Except for Aliens

when it's not, if they simply "amp" everything up to compensate for the inherent lack of creativity.

Definitely not the case with Aliens

Another misguided notion is to expand the roles of secondary characters,who were probably secondary because they didn't have the appeal of the primary characters to begin with.

Also not the case with Aliens, but then this is because all of the secondary role characters from Alien died horribly when the alien attacked and killed them......

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Likely why I wrote "a lot" and not "all".

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Most sequels do suck donkey balls, or don't live up to the first movie. I had to be be a smartarse and rave on ad nauseum about the one truly shining example of a superb sequel (yes there are other great sequels but Aliens is hands down the best sequel evar!!!!!) and I love Sci-Fi and I'm a bit of a dick sometimes so these things happen.....

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    I would put Aliens on a very short list of the best Action Movies ever but in terms of sequels,Godfather 2 is the only one to ever win Best Picture.

Other great sequels that clearly outstrip the originals and immediately spring to mind....The Dark Knight,Terminator 2,Mad Max:The Road Warrior.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I would put Aliens on a very short list of the best Action Movies ever but in terms of sequels,Godfather 2 is the only one to ever win Best Picture.

Other great sequels that clearly outstrip the originals and immediately spring to mind....The Dark Knight,Terminator 2,Mad Max:The Road Warrior.
    The reason why Godfather 2 was a better movie than 1 was it seemed like 1 was directed by someone with Alzheimers, flashbacks are alright but it is nice to lead in and out of them with some coherence, not just blip we are suddenly 45 years in the past again to explain a (sometimes obscure) plot point.

I read the original book by Mario Puzo, it was linear in progression, although the movie couldn't (or wouldn't) convey some of the important sub-plots of the book, like Sonny's enormous penis, the movie was still deeply discordant in it's presentation, so in a way it is no surprise that The Godfather 2 was a much better movie.
    I will however agree that the Dark Knight T2 and the Road Warrior were much better than the originals, although in the case of both Terminator and Mad Max the originals were low budget splatter movies that were surprising box office successes, the sequels had a far far bigger budget to take advantage of that success.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    +1 on Alien, they are all excellent in different styles.

Terminator 2 was also a good sequel.

Worst sequels ever: Highlander

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    El vs. Desperado anyone?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast