Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got this computer...output problem

suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Okay heres the deal...im unaware as the specs so far, but this computer is athlon xp...so...problem...the output comes on the moniter uptil after the bios...then just cuts off, tried multiple moniters...tried running in safe mode...it just cuts off before the xp screen comes...i was thinking its either the graphics card or ram...anyone else give their opinions

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd be just guessing but could be so many things , video card being one of them . Too bad you don't have a Video card to swap out and try as that would be the first thing I'd do ....

Dig a little deeper and open the case make sure all the cards are seated properly , sound , vid, memory etc . You might find something loose .
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-18-2007 at 01:28 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Does the computer freeze at that point, or does it continue to load but without anything displayed?

If it freezes, I'd suggest something is corrupted on the hdd.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    well...the cd-rom light then stays on..if that signals anything...it stays on just the moniter doesnt show anything...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Might be the motherboard.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    hmm...it really could be tons of things, this sucks, and it takes additional parts to be able to test whats wrong...this is all oldschool gear so i dont have that stuff

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    It may be trying to find one or more of the drives. If the bios has been told fixed drive details rather than autodetect then it can take a while for the bios to time-out (several minutes) if they are not correct, for example if a drive has been removed.

If you can get into the bios, check the drive details are correct, and set them right if not.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    yes sir...will try that asap

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    if you took out cd from your drive and it still keeps that light on unplug it and try without it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    so there was nothing wrong in the bios...it seemed as after it turned on a few times and like got warmed up...it would go past the windows...but when its a fresh start, like after night, it just doesnt start...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast