Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diabetes

It's a very surreptitious illness.
    It can destroy eyes, leg, and insides.
    If your blood sugar level is very low, your brain would go to coma.
    This case(when the patient still conscious) must eat sugar(the best is the glucose).

2. Lounge   -   #22
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    No. Like I said there's a correlation between obesity and occurences of type two, and if it runs in the family you are also more likely to get it, statistically speaking, but you don't have to be fat to get it. No one was sure exactly what causes it, last I checked. Might be some hormone that's more common in fatty tissues.

As far as type one goes, it's possible that it's inherited, but the connection is even sketchier if so. Like I said, I can't remember exactly what they said in class (but I remember a nurse asking my brother if someone else had it in the family), so I don't know whether it's an official theory. Also, it's possible that some sort of catalyst is needed to make the immune system go awry, which would mean that you could in a sense acquire it, although it would be seriously tricky to do it on purpose, seeing as exactly what is required to trigger it is unknown.

And people are most certainly not born with type one (unless something is seriously fucked in the make up of their immune systems and/or that of their mothers), or type two for that matter.
    Had to look it up. You're right, Type 1 is not an inborn disease. I just learned it a semester ago and im forgetting it already. Rather people are born with the tendency to develop it later in life. There are theories as to what triggers the disease later on; could be a virus or something else. Point is, nothing anyone can do to stop it.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Indeed. It'll always be a fun surprise, like.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Just learned earlier this week my mom has it. Funny this thread came about right then
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

5. Lounge   -   #25
    nom nom nom BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I can't see why it wouldn't be.
    In space no one can hear you scream.
    In cyber space no one can see your man-boobs.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    My cousin has it and hopefully it isn't something hereditary!

7. Lounge   -   #27
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    We found out my wee Da had it 3 years ago.

Since then he's lost half of his right foot, most of his left leg, most of his eyesight and has fallen into a hyperglycemia coma 3 times in the past year alone. It causes him to get confused, calling my baby neice my name as he doesn't even know what year it is. He is in a wheel-chair and I had to move back home to look after him.

It's a real disease, a terrible one and one that i've been told i am likely to develop later in life.

The only good thing to come out of this is the look on visitor's faces when they walk in and there's a false leg sitting in the middle of the living room and me and Da put on shocked faces and say "not again! we put that in the bedroom! How does it keep getting out here???"

8. Lounge   -   #28
    so pretty much real then.
    there's two things in this life i hate; 1. Cultural discrimination and 2. Gypsies

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    It's a real disease, but it doesn't have to be an illness, depending on the definition. It can be that too, though.

My brother has type one. It's not a problem for him, he takes shots, but it seems more like having to drink water or eat food, rather than something out of the ordinary. He gained like 30-40 punds in muscles after he got diabetes, though, but I don't think he has a problem with that either.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    So how can one avoid developing it? Is it strongly tied to your diet??
    Now go away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast