Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Fast Should A 1.5mb Line Be?

mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    I have a 1.5 mb adsl line from earthlink. I consistantly get 89kbps download and 15kbps upload. This just doesnt seem right. I know it shouldnt be as fast as cable but from what im reading, I think I should be getting speeds upward of 130. I dont pay for the line (Parents do), and i dont feel like complaining cus im already spoiled to have almost 90 dls, but i figure what the hell. You think i should call up earthlink and ask them wuts up? Thanks.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    1.5mbs = 1500kbps = 187.5 kBps downstream.

Don&#39;t know about upstream as I don&#39;t know what your line is rated at for uploads.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I have a 1.5 megabit line and I get any where from 90 Kb/s to 150 Kb/s. I&#39;m right next to the box too. I use SBC and they rate it like most others, that is, i the 1.5 megabit is a maximum rating. The minimal rating is usually half of that, which YOU are getting. Most people are in the middle somewhere but you might be far away from the station and it could be slowing you down. All you can do is call your isp and see if they have any suggestions.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I just recently got ADSL and I&#39;m almost at the end of the digital phone exchange but I ought to get 64 KB/sec downloads but I get from anywhere from 50 - 80 or sometimes even 100 KB/s &#33;&#33;&#33;

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by mogadishu@20 June 2003 - 15:42
    I have a 1.5 mb adsl line from earthlink. I consistantly get 89kbps download and 15kbps upload.
    how many programs are you running at the same time? what are you downloading from? have you really tried maxing your bandwidth out?

try downloading two or three large files (or as many as you need to) simultaneously from different websites, and see what the download speeds add up to. just because you have x amount of bandwidth, that doesn&#39;t mean it will all be used up by a single file transfer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Go to http://www.adslguide.org.uk and test your line out, downloading from KaZaA is NOT a reliable source, you&#39;re better off seeing how fast you can download by downloading something from http://www.download.com.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    DSL reports is a good web site to look at also. they have techies from many of the major proiders and they can actually look at your line and all that stuff. also they have diagnostic tools and line tests. I recommend going there and going to the earthlink forum.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    i&#39;ve got a 1.5mbps cable line and i oftem see 200-350kbps in normal downloads. when it comes to kazaa lite i&#39;ve seen 1000kbps (1mbps) on a single file from 3 sources. i must have got lucky. i wish i would download that fast on normal downloads.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    thanks guys, but im talking about download speeds from places like download.com. I know that kazaa isnt reliable.. on kazaa i get 50 tops usually.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    youre right, you should have speeds up to 150 kb/s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast