Thread: trying to find a web type network file sharing program

I have the main hdd's on my network. and have a number of people on here who copy files off me all the time.. movies. episodes etc..

Up untill now I have just shared my folders.

But I would like to do something a bit more controlled. are there any programs or anyway I can setup a way for them to access a webpage internally on the network to see the files I am currently sharing.

I know I can launch a web site and individually link each file.. but thats more work then I'd like to do.
    since my anime is 250 files alone. lol

any ideas? Or maybe a network on file sharing program like a kazzaa (old i know) or something like that thats spyware free

or what do you guys use?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by takagari View Post
    I have the main hdd's on my network. and have a number of people on here who copy files off me all the time.. movies. episodes etc..

Up untill now I have just shared my folders.

But I would like to do something a bit more controlled. are there any programs or anyway I can setup a way for them to access a webpage internally on the network to see the files I am currently sharing.

I know I can launch a web site and individually link each file.. but thats more work then I'd like to do.
    since my anime is 250 files alone. lol

any ideas? Or maybe a network on file sharing program like a kazzaa (old i know) or something like that thats spyware free

or what do you guys use?
    Try this

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lsfilelist.html

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    You could just set up a FTP server. You'd be able to virtually mount a lot of your folders to organize your content. (I'm assuming you have many scattered folders across many drives)

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    You could also set up a simple BitTorrent tracker.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=creat...orrent+tracker

If no-one else has access to that side of things then you are the only one who controls what's available, and as long as the files aren't copyrighted (or you own the copyright) it is a perfectly legal and sensible way to distribute files.

You can also control who has access to the tracker by sending out the torrent files (for example by email) only to the people you trust.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    the ftp has been an idea for some time. but im unsure as to a good ftp program to use for an internal network?

i tried the ls program
    but it links to the files on MY drive..
    how would i get it to link so the others can view it and download from any pc on the network?
    Last edited by takagari; 07-18-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by takagari View Post
    the ftp has been an idea for some time. but im unsure as to a good ftp program to use for an internal network?

i tried the ls program
    but it links to the files on MY drive..
    how would i get it to link so the others can view it and download from any pc on the network?
    You will need some form of web-hosting to do what you require..