Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About Locked Posts

Having come accross a lot of locked posts just recently i thought to myself why
    are they still available to view?

I mean why could a mod not delete or add a 'trashcan' sub forum where they can be moved to and so therefore they could be auto delated after say , a period of time.

At the end of the day, these threads have been locked for a reason ( and thats mainly because it's spam/offensive or just downright talking absolute cr@p! )

Just thought this would help the forum by doing this

What you think, im i wrong??

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    I guess that a question for one of our mods to answer.

Your idea sounds good though,to delete them as maybe it would free up database space.I rarely read posts if i know they are locked,majority of locked post tend to occur in the guestroom,damn n00bs

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Ex-member
    They are locked so that everyone can see them, in particular the starters of the thread.

For example, if a question is asked and the answer is given, it is locked to prevent spam but left there so the original poster can still see it.

If a topic is locked due to spamming or flaming, it is left so that people can see why it was closed.

If we just deleted them we'd be inundated with threads going "Huh? Where did my thread go?"

4. Lounge   -   #4
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    I think some of the posts are indeed locked due to spaming, and I agree should just get trashed but others are locked when someone gets an adequate answer to a question they have posed. I guess it makes sense to leave the topic open to allow others who may have the same question to view the answer and save somebody having to re-type an explanation. Does that sound about right?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    I guess I have to learn to type faster than Lamsey&#33;&#33;&#33;

6. Lounge   -   #6
    The reason that there have been so many locked topics is that we now have a new global mod who is actualy doing some work in the lounge.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    How about locking AND keeping the useful/answered questions type threads and
    deleted/trashcan all others that dont come under this ( and there&#39;s a fair few that dont come into the above&#33

Would streamline the board/make it more enjoyable etc, etc for all imho.

*edit* yes i agree about Lamsey doing a good job, heres everywhere hes like
    10 men&#33; (or boys )

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Threads in the lounge should not be locked because of Spam. That is what the lounge is for. People to talk nonsense and have fun.

There is enough seriousness in life and there are plenty places on the forum for serious discussion. When it becomes spam it is moved to the lounge.

They should be locked if they are overly offensive, yes. But not for spamming. We can get dangerously close to removing people freedom of expression, which is very important.

I know that this is only an internet forum, but the freedom is as important here as it is anywhere.

This is not intended as spam, or as a joke. It is a serious point. Freedoms tend to be eroded over time, rather than removed wholesale. That way people don&#39;t notice the loss as much.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    I agree with JPaul that threads in the Lounge shouldn&#39;t be locked on the basis of SPAM.

However, I haven&#39;t really noticed that occuring either. Usually a Lounge thread is locked if/once it becomes offensive or inflammatory. Or the occasional doofus who&#39;s continually trying to lure users to "their great site".

The Lounge seems to be a relatively SPAM-friendy zone. And I don&#39;t think that&#39;s going to be changing.

Regarding locked posts in other forums; I think that leaving the threads there for the original poster and/or others to view is a good way to handle it. Unless the original post has absolutely no merit whatsoever - in which case it may as well be deleted.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by tite-wad@21 June 2003 - 19:42
    I agree with JPaul that threads in the Lounge shouldn&#39;t be locked on the basis of SPAM.

However, I haven&#39;t really noticed that occuring either. Usually a Lounge thread is locked if/once it becomes offensive or inflammatory. Or the occasional doofus who&#39;s continually trying to lure users to "their great site".

The Lounge seems to be a relatively SPAM-friendy zone. And I don&#39;t think that&#39;s going to be changing.

Regarding locked posts in other forums; I think that leaving the threads there for the original poster and/or others to view is a good way to handle it. Unless the original post has absolutely no merit whatsoever - in which case it may as well be deleted.
    We are, for once, in total agreement.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast