Thread: Unison Feedback

Wilton331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Any Unison users out there? I'm using a Mac and Slyck gave it a great review on his guide so I just downloaded it but I'm just looking for some feedback from the FST community. I'm super new to newgroups, I'm actually just trying to get my username and password from comcast right now so I can access the free 2GB/mo from Giganews. Woot! lol.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I've been using Unison for almost a year now and I'm a big fan. Its download utility is great, especially for NZBs (which is mostly how I download from usenet). You can set it to download using the maximum number of connections your service provider allows, so you'll always get fast downloads, and the queue feature is pretty foolproof and efficient. For viewing newsgroup posts it's also good, but I normally get pretty frustrated with this so I stick to NZBs. If you prefer viewing posts, you can set how many posts you want to download as a default, which is nice when you're viewing a group with 200,000 posts in it...

I would definitely recommend Unison, if you have any specific questions about it let me know.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Wilton331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    So I downloaded my first NZB with unison, it was a cam of License to Wed, the movie. I had no idea what I was doing, I just clicked download and it went to the downloads and transfers window and started downloading 61 files two at a time. After it was done I have a bunch of files but the only one I used was the avi file that came out. Is that right? haha

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I'm with the D-man. I use Unison on my powerbook, and I am quite fond of it. I have tried a few others, but for my money its the best one out there so far. I especially like its grouping feature when browsing headers the old fashioned way.

If you get adventurous later on, you can check out hellanzb, but it runs from the command line, so if you don't know what that is, or are afraid of it, then forget I mentioned it :-D

-- Korben