Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methods for Increasing your Intelligence

Cool

As you may know, the methods for increasing you intelligence have over the past couple decades turned into a business. People like Paul Scheele and businesses like Volition Thought House have created products that claim to help you achieve genius through the power of your mind.

The problem is that some, and if not most products, are not as effective as the producer claims. Some people go so far as to claim the technique called 'photoreading,' as introduced by Paul Scheele, is a complete scam (cite). People also are skeptical of a technique called 'image streaming,' whose discoverers claim that it will increase your IQ as well as your ability to speak and write (See: "The Einstein Factor" and The Mind Accelerator). Furthermore, even programming your subconscious with positive affirmations is also criticized as being ineffective (See: Floppybait's comment(s)).

So how effective do you guys think these strategies (and any other one's I haven't mentioned) are? As author and astronomer Carl Sagan says, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
    Last edited by Brenya; 07-23-2007 at 04:38 AM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You can increase your knowledge, you can't increase your intelligence. Knowledge is what you have retained through experience or education.
    Intelligence is the ability to deal with the unknown and as such can not be 'inhaled', like education.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    You can increase your knowledge, you can't increase your intelligence. Knowledge is what you have retained through experience or education.
    Intelligence is the ability to deal with the unknown and as such can not be 'inhaled', like education.
    I believe the brain can be exercised though. Things like Sudoko and Crosswords keep the brain active and one's intelligence supple and slinky (oooeeerr missus).
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    I believe the brain can be exercised though. Things like Sudoko and Crosswords keep the brain active and one's intelligence supple and slinky (oooeeerr missus).

Agreed but the intelligence must be there in the first instance.
    At our age Les it is better just to take it for a walk.
    Last edited by bigboab; 07-24-2007 at 04:39 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

Agreed but the intelligence must be there in the first instance.
    At our age Les it is better just to take it for a walk.
    Fair point - and I agree, a gentle stroll is much more agreeable than jogging.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    ...you can't increase your intelligence.
    Well.. I disagree. I am well aware of the constant debate of Nature vs. Nurture and believe it is a combination of both. No, it has been proven to be a combination of both. What you are referring to is our genetics, which cannot be changed (presently, at least); but there are proven techniques to increase your intelligence (i.e. your ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn).
    The "Mozart Effect" is one.
    Nutrition is another. Protein and caffeine particularly help.
    And of course logical games and puzzles, including chess, exercise your ability to solve problems and think abstractly.

I wanted this discussion to particularly lean towards the subjects I first mentioned in my opening post. Just saying "you can't increase your intelligence" with conviction doesn't really further the discussion. I've heard enough archaic, automated responses from my (grand)parents.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    dcx's Avatar Member
    Random newbie chiming in (hi!) - I think it's definitely possible to increase one's intelligence, subject to some genetic limits. I think I remember a study examining children brought up in the wild finding that they were missing some kinds of reasoning, or something similar. So some intelligences must be trained into us as we go!

I looked into this a while back, more on the chemical end of the spectrum. Scary stuff, really. Some of it likely does work, but the risks and side effects put me off a bit.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    There is a big difference between appearing to be intelligent and being intelligent.
    It is very easy to drown out your intelligence, simply for the sake of not wanting to be disturbed.
    The effects of which are not intelligent.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    ...you can't increase your intelligence.
    Well.. I disagree. I am well aware of the constant debate of Nature vs. Nurture and believe it is a combination of both. No, it has been proven to be a combination of both. What you are referring to is our genetics, which cannot be changed (presently, at least); but there are proven techniques to increase your intelligence (i.e. your ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn).
    The "Mozart Effect" is one.
    Nutrition is another. Protein and caffeine particularly help.
    And of course logical games and puzzles, including chess, exercise your ability to solve problems and think abstractly.

I wanted this discussion to particularly lean towards the subjects I first mentioned in my opening post. Just saying "you can't increase your intelligence" with conviction doesn't really further the discussion. I've heard enough archaic, automated responses from my (grand)parents.
    Don't patronize me, you young whippersnapper.

[QUOTE]Because IQ is hereditary and it is not, therefore, possible to increase your actual IQ; it is, nevertheless, possible to improve your performance on IQ tests by practising the many different types of question, and learning to recognise the recurring themes. It is my belief that by practise on different types of IQ tests, and by getting your mind attuned to the different types of questions you may encounter, it is possible to improve by a few vital percentage points. It is these few percentage points that may prove crucial in increasing your employment prospects and mean the difference between success or failure when attending one of the many job interviews which include the taking of an IQ test. [/QUOTE

http://www.knowl.demon.co.uk/page9.html

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    I highly doubt that site of yours is the best place to get answers for your scientific questions. If you want one man's opinion, though, it is great! I definitely likes to voice it with "I think"s and "I believe"s.
    I understand that the majority of your intelligence arises from your genes and proliferates as you grow, depending on nutrition.

There are ways, however, to improve your intelligence (creativity, speech, writing, conceptualization) right now as a grown adult. They aren't easy.
    Take a look at this:
    Awareness and Attention-Span: A Breathtaking Discovery
    Image-Streaming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast