Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Guitar Solo...

...So no Jimi Hendrix 'Star Spangled Banner' please!
    I'll start off with Eddie Van Halen's 'Eruption'. Can ANYTHING top that???

2. Music   -   #2
    Poster
    Steve Vai - Juice
    Steve Vai - For the love of God
    Steve Morse - Cruise Missile
    Eric Johnson - Camel's night out
    Steve Vai - Big Trouble ( DL Roth's Eat 'em & smile )
    Ron Thal - Hermit
    Jimmi Page - Stairway to Heaven ( Led Zeppelin )
    Jimi Hendrix / Frank Marino - Purple Haze
    ...many others...

3. Music   -   #3
    Yes, For the love of god is good, and so is all Vai's stuff.

4. Music   -   #4
    The most skillful I ever heard was from the Extreme 2 Album (Get The Funk Out and More Than Words were on it but I can't remember the title). I THINK the guys name was Nuno Beckencourt, and he did a guitar solo of Beethoven's Flight of the Bumble Bee. Has to be heard to be believed- I estimate the guys fingers must have had to pass through themselves at least 6 times to pull it off.

5. Music   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rhydian66@22 June 2003 - 23:18
    The most skillful I ever heard was from the Extreme 2 Album (Get The Funk Out and More Than Words were on it but I can't remember the title).  I THINK the guys name was Nuno Beckencourt, and he did a guitar solo of Beethoven's Flight of the Bumble Bee.  Has to be heard to be believed- I estimate the guys fingers must have had to pass through themselves at least 6 times to pull it off.
    Yep, that's great !

BTW: isn't the Flight of the BumbleBee a Rimskij-Korsakov's composition ?

Check out Nuno's Midnight Express and Hip Today from Waiting for the Punchline

6. Music   -   #6
    Originally posted by AlanPartridge@22 June 2003 - 22:59

I'll start off with Eddie Van Halen's 'Eruption'. Can ANYTHING top that???
    Yes!

Slash's outro to 'Paradise City' But only just B)

Jonno B)
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

7. Music   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US+22 June 2003 - 23:37--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CELEBS_ARE_US &#064; 22 June 2003 - 23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-AlanPartridge@22 June 2003 - 22:59

I&#39;ll start off with Eddie Van Halen&#39;s &#39;Eruption&#39;. Can ANYTHING top that???
    Yes&#33;

Slash&#39;s outro to &#39;Paradise City&#39; But only just B)

Jonno B)[/b][/quote]
    Jonno, l like Paradise City&#39;s outro, but Eruption is still better IMHO

8. Music   -   #8
    Originally posted by mdb175+22 June 2003 - 23:45--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mdb175 @ 22 June 2003 - 23:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@22 June 2003 - 23:37
    <!--QuoteBegin-AlanPartridge
    @22 June 2003 - 22:59

I&#39;ll start off with Eddie Van Halen&#39;s &#39;Eruption&#39;. Can ANYTHING top that???

Yes&#33;

Slash&#39;s outro to &#39;Paradise City&#39; But only just B)

Jonno B)
    Jonno, l like Paradise City&#39;s outro, but Eruption is still better IMHO [/b][/quote]
    Well I&#39;m not gonna argue cos it&#39;s opinion but the only reason I said that is because, Slash&#39;s was nearly twice as long, faster cleaner phrasing using scales rather than tapping
    No disrespect to Eddie at all, cos he is a god And Eruption was amazing, but Eddie did utilise his 2 hand tapping and delay fx for that tune to make it sound faster than is really is, Very clever none the less B)

Jonno B)

9. Music   -   #9
    2 hand tapping and delay fx? hmmm, I&#39;ll have to listen to Paradise City again...

10. Music   -   #10
    Originally posted by AlanPartridge@22 June 2003 - 23:55
    2 hand tapping and delay fx? hmmm, I&#39;ll have to listen to Paradise City again...
    No&#33; That&#39;s my point&#33;
    Slash rarly used tapping, he played individual note phrases, each note is clean

Don&#39;t get me wrong there&#39;s nothing wrong with tapping and fx....I use them myself frequently, but out of the two, Paradise city is harder to play, cos I can play Eruption (pretty much) but I have to improvise on PC cos I&#39;m just not that quick

Jonno B)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast