Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trading and/or trading???

Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post
    So effectively you are breaking the user agreement of that tracker if you give away or trade that account. As this seems to be a standard user agreement is it not time that all account trading was stamped out here.
    Given that most people use trackers to download huge amounts of copyright material, the last thing the average user is going to be concerned about is possibly breaking the trackers EULA. In any case, enforcement isn't really a matter for FST. Trading accounts is not something I would personally do, but I don't see why FST shouldn't allow it.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    To add another dimension to the debate, take on board the following scenario.

As an FST member, you have a few invites issued to you from your favourite torrent community. You make a giveaway post in the Torrent Invites section, and select someone you think will respect that invite.

A month later, you log in to your favourite torrent community, only to discover that you have been disabled. On enquiring in their IRC channel, you are told that your invitee was caught trading the account to a third party, and that they, and you, were disabled to discourage that sort of behaviour (re: The Rabbit).

The person who trades an account not only puts them self at risk, but also their inviter (not all community will hold the inviter responsible, but there are still a number of communities that do). This means that someone can genuinely lose their account because they misread someone else's character.

Now, because so many people have lost their accounts due to actions of account traders (re: The Rabbit), people are now apprehensive about handing out invites to virtual strangers, just in case that stranger abuses the trust shown in them. This means that account trading will increase, because the number of invites being offered has reduced.

It's the law of economics, unfortunately. People want a specific community, and if they cannot acquire an invite, then they will accept an account instead. Account trader thrive on this economy, and will use it to their advantage. More accounts will be disabled, meaning genuine invites will dwindle.

It is a vicious circle.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Good point TheFox. However most traders do trade because they get a kick out of it and not because the lack of invites. The biggest traders already have most trackers. People give invite for rare trackers to those they feel are worth to be invited.

The problem with free invites is that even n00bs that have less than 10 posts want FTN or some high level tracker.

The reality is that even n00bs can get the best trackers as free invites. The problem is that most new people just start asking and asking for free invites and don't even contribute to this community in anyway. For example a lot of those with so few posts. Of course they won't get much and then they try trading and next thing you know they are all talking about this rarity levels because they think is the only way to get good trackers.

Probably the best trackers are not the rarest ones. TL has been conpared to Sct and FTN and they are in totally different rarity levels. Oink has been said to be better than Exigo and they are in a totally different rarity level.

Trading is not always done because the lack of invites, it is mostly because of the rarity rating. Is mainly because people don't realize which trackers are really the best.

If each tracker would have a proper review according to how good the tracker is then people would apreciate a lot of trackers more and traders would not get away with insane traders like. 5 accounts for 1 invite.

I think this thread was started to figure out why people trade right? Well I think the main reason is because of the rarity rating system that exist here at FST. Even the guy selling a ScT invite on Ebay has the rarity chart posted in the description.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    I think this thread was started to figure out why people trade right? Well I think the main reason is because of the rarity rating system that exist here at FST. Even the guy selling a ScT invite on Ebay has the rarity chart posted in the description.
    What you say is largely true though I don't think it's fair to blame it on FST's rating system. People were trading long before that was designed and will continue to trade accounts and invites as long as there are private communities they want to get into (whether torrent or otherwise) though I would agree it seems to be going out of control at the moment.

I went on a holiday for about 8 months which is why I haven't been around the board for a while and before I left there was trading but it didn't seem to be an issue and you hardly ever saw accounts for trade. In fact i can remember that was frowned upon because it is against the rules. so I can say looking at it with fresh eyes it seems the trading has stepped up a notch.

But it's not all bad because there are also a lot more giveaways atm then there used to be and the invite section is certainly a livelier place which without the scammers and the trading addicts it wouldn't be. I think it's just all part of the mix here at FST. Besides it's funny to see how desperate and scammy people get for certain trackers. It's like drugs I can't even count the amount of times I've read please please please I need it

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well, sorry for the 2 year bump, but I find this thread interesting. Obviously most people thought that trading was OK back then and that I expected.

What I did not expect were such discussions (in some ways I'm a n00b still, I wasn't even on public trackers in July 2007, I think, lol). The OP basically says that ''The one-off trader'' is a dying breed and that wheeler dealer traders (lol at the name) are becoming more and more frequent and that he doesn't like them.

Here's the funny thing: I think that wheeler dealers are all that is left in trading. The smart people have commuted to invite GAs (the smartest to private ones). All that is left are such ''level hunters''.

This thread makes me understand why this forum allowed trading then and it yet again proves to me that it souldn't allow it anymore.

PS: Right now I wouldn't trade, but I can't really say what I would have done if I joined back then. With the knowledge I have now I'm sure I wouldn't trade even then.
    Last edited by The_Martinator; 06-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    If you find it of interest, well and good, but why don't you open up and new thread while pointing to this thread as reference. Not many people have the habit of looking at the OP date when reading a thread.
    May be Mod should start locking all the old threads

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    as long as the bump is not useless, i don't see any reason to lock a old thread...
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    If you find it of interest, well and good, but why don't you open up and new thread while pointing to this thread as reference. Not many people have the habit of looking at the OP date when reading a thread.
    May be Mod should start locking all the old threads
    You have a point. However I have started a number of threads and a few times a certain mod said he doesn't understand what good came from me starting it or something similar. So this way I'm being shielded by the original OP, lol.

Thanks for the support, cine.

Both of you didn't comment on the contents of the thread, though.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    all have been said
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Jezebel's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    all have been said
    All has been said long time ago already.
    Yet trader related discussions pop up every once in a while being repeated what has been said years ago.
    It just goes on and on again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast