Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Have Done?if The War Did'nt Happen?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+25 June 2003 - 08:18--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 25 June 2003 - 08:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Some_Geezer@25 June 2003 - 05:57

And the US Would&#39;nt be sitting on the worlds 3rd biggest Oil Supply...
    No, the French and the Russians would be.[/b][/quote]
    To answer the original question:

I wasn&#39;t personally planning to do anything; even though I was certainly in favor of our military doing so.

I myself was comfortable with my U.N.-like stance of inaction, but then the truth of Clocker&#39;s statement dawned on me, so I called my friends George, Dick and Don together, and we came up with this plan.......
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@25 June 2003 - 03:01
    Are you not aware of the rape squads that Saddam setup?
    Google search >Rape squads< or >Saddam Rape Squads
    If that is reason enough to wage war, why are we not bombing India, China, Japan, and MANY other countries that sell little girls into slavery and prostitution? Is that not rape of the foulest kind? Funny thing is, in Japan, those little girls are visited in brothels most often by American businessmen.

Are you aware of the underground little girl slave trade going on right here in our backyard? People from Asian countries smuggle children into America and sell them to rich perverts as sex slaves or to U.S. sweatshops... YES, sweatshops right here in good &#39;ol America.

While it&#39;s true that most of these countries&#39; leaders did not make a &#39;rape squad&#39;, it is still condoned by these governments. That definitely makes it no different of a situation.

How is our motive only &#39;helping&#39; when we only attack those that are weak enough to be bullied and have something we want, but that &#39;helping&#39; hand goes away when we consider truly getting our hands dirty with countries capable of fighting back? It&#39;s a double standard that makes us look weak, like nothing more than the kind of bully that talks big, but can&#39;t back it up.

I&#39;m not just talking about the rape business, but also the wmd in ours and any country & oil and what our gov&#39;t had to gain from attacking Iraq. Why is it o.k. for ANY country to own wmd? I believe the planet should be rid of them entirely, although I am aware of the dilemma of getting rid of them. It&#39;s no different than the gun issue... if we take them all away, how do we defend ourselves against those who have them? And we know how hard the black market is to control.

As for the war, yes... I believe that Saddam should have been brought down, without a doubt. However, I cannot condone the way Bush went about it. The lies and misleading data were not needed to gain American support to go against Saddam.

I also agree that Bush was not the man to do this. Not because of the feelings the rest of the world has against him, but because his father was the one who started this war with Sadaam. Not to mention the fact that Sr. and Reagan were the ones responsible for putting him into power to begin with&#33; It was not going to be a pretty situation for Jr. no matter which way he approached it. And his choices throughout the situation with Iraq only made it worse for him.

So, what I would have done differently is to have someone else in charge.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Just out of interest...and i havent looked this up beforehand.

How many Troops, both US and UK have now been killed or injured in Iraq since the war ended...by this population that really wanted us to go in.....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@26 June 2003 - 14:03
    Just out of interest...and i havent looked this up beforehand.

How many Troops, both US and UK have now been killed or injured in Iraq since the war ended...by this population that really wanted us to go in.....
    Good question, but I think one could safely draw a distinction between the population that wished to be liberated and the much smaller one which is now bedevilling our troops.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    And Britain loses 6 more.................

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I don&#39;t have exact numbers, but about a week ago I caught the tail-end of the early morning news, and they mentioned that the "non-combat" causualties are soon-to-be overtaking the "non-combat" causualties of Vietnam. Of course, there&#39;s been more causualties since then, so it could have surpassed those numbers.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by angellynn26@25 June 2003 - 16:32

If that is reason enough to wage war, why are we not bombing India, China, Japan, and MANY other countries that sell little girls into slavery and prostitution? Is that not rape of the foulest kind? Funny thing is, in Japan, those little girls are visited in brothels most often by American businessmen.

The Far East has a long and persistent history of slavery and child prostitution. I think that any participation by "American businessmen" is surely only a fraction of a percentage point.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    There is every difference in the world between these atrocities taking place in a country and the government of that country doing it to their people.

Drug trafficking takes place in the UK, that does not make the government drug traffickers. Similarly with rape and murder. They happen here, but not because the government cause them to happen.

The point which was made earlier is that rape, murder and heaven knows what else was taking place, in Iraq, at the behest and instruction of the "government". It was part of the whole terror / control method of subjugating the people.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by JPaul@26 June 2003 - 23:37
    There is every difference in the world between these atrocities taking place in a country and the government of that country doing it to their people.

Drug trafficking takes place in the UK, that does not make the government drug traffickers. Similarly with rape and murder. They happen here, but not because the government cause them to happen.

The point which was made earlier is that rape, murder and heaven knows what else was taking place, in Iraq, at the behest and instruction of the "government". It was part of the whole terror / control method of subjugating the people.
    So, your saying that we now march on Burma, Zimbabwe, Libya, North Korea, Half of South America.........

The Far East has a long and persistent history of slavery and child prostitution. I think that any participation by "American businessmen" is surely only a fraction of a percentage point.
    Middle East has a long history of all of the above too.....

So what are you saying?

Its alright in one place but not in another?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@26 June 2003 - 17:57

Middle East has a long history of all of the above too.....

So what are you saying?

Its alright in one place but not in another?
    Not at all.

My perception of her post was that "American businessmen" were the driving force behind this slavery/prostitution trade, which I find to be a highly dubious assertion.

I am getting "too many connections/mysql error"ed to death here.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast