Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A review of our democrat congress, so far...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...courtesy of Robert Novak

Do-nothing Congress

After five months of Democratic control, Congress has enacted no major legislation and finished no regular appropriations bill. It has successfully renamed six federal buildings and one national park, extended the lives of two government commissions and reduced the membership of the Red Cross board of governors from 50 to 10.

In addition, Congress kept the government going with temporary spending legislation, redesignated five Eastern European countries (Albania, Macedonia, Croatia, Georgia and Ukraine) for security aid, strengthened penalties against animal fighting and authorized construction of 541 feet of road in St. Louis County, Mo. An emergency bill financing the war in Iraq and Afghanistan was vetoed by President Bush before a bill acceptable to him was passed before the Memorial Day recess.

Congress faces a heavy agenda to fit into a schedule interrupted by several recesses before the end of the year.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    To be fair (which Novak certainly isn't) they spent a fair time mopping up the unfinished stuff the 109th left behind. Also a bit misleading. The house has passed all the things they promised for the first 100 hours, including checks and balances (apart from the pussy act of giving into bush on iraq funding) then the republicans stalled everything in the senate or Bush vetoed.

All in all they have done far more in the first few months than the republican 109th managed altogether.

Any "do nothingness" in the 110th so far is purely down to republican obstructionism. So if you want to complain...............

I guess the gripe is that they have done nothing that Bob Novak and the wingnuts want.....like gutting social security, cutting taxes for the wealthiest and wasting time on ammendments to prevent someone burning a piece of cloth....oh and stopping people of the same sex from kissing.
    Last edited by vidcc; 06-10-2007 at 08:42 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    why would you even make posts like this J2K4?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    To be fair (which Novak certainly isn't) they spent a fair time mopping up the unfinished stuff the 109th left behind. Also a bit misleading. The house has passed all the things they promised for the first 100 hours, including checks and balances (apart from the pussy act of giving into bush on iraq funding) then the republicans stalled everything in the senate or Bush vetoed.
    What's so unfair about Novak?

Why would you call it "mopping up"?

Hell, they'd tout anything they'd actually done, even if it originated with the Republicans, so you know that comment is baloney.

Passed.............what, precisely?

Checks and balances?

"Passed" and "practiced" must mean two vastly different things...

All in all they have done far more in the first few months than the republican 109th managed altogether.
    Again, how so?

Any "do nothingness" in the 110th so far is purely down to republican obstructionism. So if you want to complain...............
    The only good feature this Democrat-led (bled?) Congress possesses.

I guess the gripe is that they have done nothing that Bob Novak and the wingnuts want.....like gutting social security, cutting taxes for the wealthiest and wasting time on ammendments to prevent someone burning a piece of cloth....oh and stopping people of the same sex from kissing.
    Gutting social security?

Stop the presses while you explain how giving each citizen the option of investing a small percentage of his/her Social Security tax in something/anything more profitable than the God-awful (and failing) government plan?

Please, I beg you; if you feel you actually can, tell us what the government should have against this...moreover, what you yourself have against it?

BTW-

Please tell us also where this anti-gays-kissing effort is being staged; I hadn't heard of it 'til just now when you went apeshit over it.

Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post
    Why, to get vidcc to go off his wingnut again - and, by Allah, it has worked!

There is the added fun of your posting as you have.

Good show.

Seriously, anyone wants to take a swing at selling Big Nancy's Congress, I'm listening.

Hey, what about William Jefferson's FBI sting-plan story?

Bloody good fun, that is.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Because he's been in a sulk since his party had their asses handed to them.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Because he's been in a sulk since his party had their asses handed to them.
    Really?

My "party" wasn't even represented.

BTW-

Are you so smug you don't have to answer questions such as the ones I ask?

The Republicans have screwed up so badly over the past several years, yet when the Dems take over, they fall flat on their faces.

They haven't a clue...

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    so are you a left wing satirist or right wing self destructive?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    What's so unfair about Novak?

Why would you call it "mopping up"?

Hell, they'd tout anything they'd actually done, even if it originated with the Republicans, so you know that comment is baloney.
    Novak is a partisan hack

All the bills the 109th punted.

Passed.............what, precisely?
    Stem cell research funding ( congress passed it, Bush's veto doesn't mean they didn't do it) minimum wage, enacting the 911 commission recommendations, student loans....................

Checks and balances?

"Passed" and "practiced" must mean two vastly different things...
    That's a comment on what you say is a do nothing congress. If they are conducting oversight (which the republicans did little of) then they are doing what they are supposed to do.

Gutting social security?

Stop the presses while you explain how giving each citizen the option of investing a small percentage of his/her Social Security tax in something/anything more profitable than the God-awful (and failing) government plan?

Please, I beg you; if you feel you actually can, tell us what the government should have against this...moreover, what you yourself have against it?
    Borrowing from the fund and not paying back.

If you want a private account then have one. Please explain why you think government would be able to run such a scheme? I would point out that you make such an idea seem almost foolproof. where is the mention of the risks that you could lose on the deal as many people with private pensions have discovered.

I have nothing against those that can afford it investing in other areas, I am against taking money from social security to do this.

Novak of course would like to see social security disappear altogether.

BTW-

Please tell us also where this anti-gays-kissing effort is being staged; I hadn't heard of it 'til just now when you went apeshit over it.
    The whole anti gay stuff, marriage protection bills, stopping gay adoptions etc. etc. (incidentally isn't it slightly hypocritical to bring a defense of marriage act that omits divorce?)

Hey, what about William Jefferson's FBI sting-plan story?

Bloody good fun, that is.
    yes it is...but you fail to notice that nobody had defended him....care to talk about the half dozen or so republicans currently being investigated?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Wow, jay posts about a Dem congress moving too slow but clammed up when it came to a Repub congress doing harm.

At the same time, and maybe vid can answer this, where is the lobbying reform?

Where are we on earmarks now?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Borrowing from the fund and not paying back.

If you want a private account then have one. Please explain why you think government would be able to run such a scheme? I would point out that you make such an idea seem almost foolproof. where is the mention of the risks that you could lose on the deal as many people with private pensions have discovered.

I have nothing against those that can afford it investing in other areas, I am against taking money from social security to do this.
    Oh and big business would benefit. It would be yet another gift from the Repubs to big business.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast