Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Audio

Looking to replace my old CD player which has stopped working in my 2001 Fiat Punto. I've already got some speaking in the car but the front are blown I think so I'm still to decide whether to get just the head unit or a whole package.

I've already got one of those I Trip things that turns your Ipod into a radio station which your radio picks up. Although the sound quality isn't really good enough for me.

So I'm looking for a in-car CD player that needs to do the following;

*MP3 CD's
    *Ipod support (although it doesn't need to be Ipod support, if it's got an AUX cable that goes into a 3.5mm audio jack that will do.
    *Detachable faceplate

I was looking at something like this.

Although I've never swapped over a in-car CD player before it can't be too hard and I'm sure I could find someone who can do it.

Also looking to maybe replace the speakers in the back (6 by 9's) as there not the best. Any recommendations to go with the head unit that will keep the price below £100. All the wiring is already done so I take it that I just swap the speakers over?

Also is adding a sub woofer and amp hard and is it really worth it?

Anyone know any good links/websites for reviews and help with this sort of stuff?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I believe you will need a facia adapter to replace the Fiat Punto with a standard receiver/player. Same goes for the rear speakers.
    http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/install...odel.asp?id=74

The unit is usually only held in by a couple of clips on each side which have to be released simultaneously. You may need to obtain a pair of release tools to extract the old unit if they aren't supplied with the new one.

AFAIK both the original Fiat radio and the Kenwood units use standard ISO wiring plugs, so with the facia adapter you should be able swap the units in just a few minutes.

You realise that the KDC-237SA doesn't play MP3 CDs? You need to go up to the KDC-W3037A for that capability.

If you want to fit a subwoofer and amp, you can't just take the speaker output. You need a radio/player with preamp output capability such as the KDC-W4037, and I think that's probably going to push the price beyond your budget.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I believe you will need a facia adapter to replace the Fiat Punto with a standard receiver/player. Same goes for the rear speakers.
    http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/install...odel.asp?id=74

The unit is usually only held in by a couple of clips on each side which have to be released simultaneously. You may need to obtain a pair of release tools to extract the old unit if they aren't supplied with the new one.

AFAIK both the original Fiat radio and the Kenwood units use standard ISO wiring plugs, so with the facia adapter you should be able swap the units in just a few minutes.

You realise that the KDC-237SA doesn't play MP3 CDs? You need to go up to the KDC-W3037A for that capability.

If you want to fit a subwoofer and amp, you can't just take the speaker output. You need a radio/player with preamp output capability such as the KDC-W4037, and I think that's probably going to push the price beyond your budget.
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the speakers in the back were really small 10cm one's behind a grill type thing, but I disconnected those, cut some holes in the parcel shelf and placed some 6 by 9's in the back, thing is these were quite cheap off a friend and had been in a car crash so the audio quality isn't the best.

Most Punto's I've seen have some horrible massive radio thing in that is not a standard size but mine has a standard size CD player, I think the people who brought the Punto paid a little extra to have the CD player as an extra.

I don't have any tools to get it out but like I said I've spoken to a few friends and they say they can do fitting and what not for me. How easy is the wiring once I take the old CD player out?

I'm sure that the fascia adapter is already in place and I know the current CD player in there is a Blaupunkt brand one (Bottom of here)

So I don't need one of them, as far as I'm aware is it not just rip out the old CD player plug all the cables that were in the old one into the new one and push it into the hole?

The front speakers are blown because they are standard one's that came with the car and I was testing those cheap 6 by 9's but I've had a look and it seems like you have to rip off the whole door panel to get at them.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    As long as the Blaupunkt radio is fairly recent, it will also have standard ISO block connectors.

So it should simply be a question of disconnecting the power plug (5, 6 or 7 leads in an 8-way plug), the speaker plug (all 8 leads connected, 4 colour coded pairs) and the aerial plug, and connecting them to the new unit.
    This is what the plugs look like. If you can get a pair of release keys you can easily check that the existing unit really does have this type of plug before you go ahead.

These are the release keys, probably either the first or second type. You can get them at any decent car audio outlet.

Replacing standard Fiat speakers looks a little expensive, you need an adapter kit. £50

You may find there's a wiring fault, or even a fault in the existing radio so you should leave that for the time being.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Kenwood has poor build quality in their head units..something to so with the ribbon cables breaking.

I would suggest looking at Clarion. Pioneer makes a USB unit but its not nearly as good as the Clarion. Depending on speaker size you wont need an adaptor..but I'm sure you can find them on ebay if you do. Replacing the stock speakers wont do anything crazy in terms of sound quality because they will be underpowered by the deck and cause distortion. Possibly picking up a cheap (brand name) 4 channel or 2 channel amplifier depending on how my speakers you have might be a good idea. Pretty much any external amplifier will outperform your decks internal amp by a million.

Adding a sub woofer is worth it like you would not believe. I currently have an Infinity 12.1 (350RMS) in a sealed box and the depth of base you get is amazing. If you like good base..then maybe a sub woofer will be worth it. Installing difficulty ranges in cars. Your fiat is small..so your lucky. Cost for RCA's will be less..along with speaker wire. You also wont need a powerful sub woofer like mine to produce the same bass as I get because your cabin is much smaller (I have a grand prix..its a boat.) Your going to need a deck with a rear rca output for a sub woofer.

For your head unit ide recommend this. Its 30(whatever your currency is) over your budget..but spending a little more now will defiantly pay off in the future. TRUST ME..I bought a 300$ deck at Christmas..if I had spent 40$ more I could have had usb support..which I desperately need right now.

http://www.clarionworld.co.uk/stock/dxz578rusb.asp

The reason I recommend this is because it has Direct ipod control..which means a much better sound..and you can control your ipod through the deck using your remote. This deck has everything you would ever want. Its got the sub woofer preout..along with preouts for a 4 channel amp incase you ever want to upgrade.

If you have any questions just ask..I've completely redone my sound system in my car..complete with 2 amps, component speakers, new rears, a sub and a deck.

E/ As for installing the head unit..I'de recommend getting someone to do it for you. Thats the one thing you can screw up and do damage. I know here in canada you can get it done at bestbuy for like 30$..cant be that expensive over there.
    Last edited by Smith; 07-28-2007 at 07:10 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    u can get a car stereo that has USB as well as the AUX.

so u can charge ur MP3 player while its on no need for using fag thing.
    also u can put in USB pendrives and use them for acessing MP3 files on it...

i have no idea what to recommend, but i spent about an hour the other day reading about them on sites and searching around just seeing what features they got and so on.

try going to halfords, ask them what to look for in a stereo, might even ahve some good 1s that are cheap as well.
    dunno if price is close to 1s u can get off the net, but they do sell a lot of them and get rid of the hastle of fitting urself as they throw it in for free.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeco View Post
    u can get a car stereo that has USB as well as the AUX.

so u can charge ur MP3 player while its on no need for using fag thing.
    also u can put in USB pendrives and use them for acessing MP3 files on it...

i have no idea what to recommend, but i spent about an hour the other day reading about them on sites and searching around just seeing what features they got and so on.

try going to halfords, ask them what to look for in a stereo, might even ahve some good 1s that are cheap as well.
    dunno if price is close to 1s u can get off the net, but they do sell a lot of them and get rid of the hastle of fitting urself as they throw it in for free.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm gonna read through and have a look at all the links and stuff but I would thought I would mention that Halfords do charge for installation, or at least they did when I went in a few months ago. If I remember correctly it was £39.99 per item.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Im sure they do some kinda deal if you buy a stereo over £150 or so the installation is free.

anyway screw halfords they are quite expensive have a look around the local car stereo shops they are cheaper. they are simple to fit as long as the connectors are the same anyway and even if they are not buy some block connectors and do it yourself.

The 6 by 9's at the rear of the car should be fine its just the speakers at the front which are always a problem as they tend to be smaller and blow easier than the rears speakers in cars.
    I would take the door panel off the passenger side and see what speakers you have. if you can buy a straight swap for cheap do so otherwise those plastic thingies(which are fucking expensice for what they are) might be worth it if you can get larger speakers into the door.

be warned though they are a fucker to fit, i once spent 2 hours fitting them and new speakers in the front door panels only to find when ever i opened the electric windows they yanked the cables out the back of the speakers. it took me another 2 hours to redo it all.

subwoofers are really only useful if you listen to bass heavy mucic(garage, dnb ....) and fell like waking the dead.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Thats not true. Subwoofers are not only for heavy bass, they add to the over all sound of the music. You dont always have crank it and you can set it to play between hi and mid's.

It all depends on the type of box you put it in, I have mine in a sealed box..I bet if I put it in a ported box I would be shaking mirrors all down the street. A sealed box is for sound quality..you can buy very high quality sub woofers that operate with less power and still produce amazing sound. I garentee, once you listen with a sub woofer, you will never go back..I know I wont. Once you install a quality sound system..you wont even want to drive your car without it.

the deck I recommended is a very high quality deck and I will be purchasing something very similar to it in the next month (the next model up from the american line)

Over the next few months I will be upgrading my sound system to something a bit more advanced. If anyone needs advise..give me a shout.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Thats not true. Subwoofers are not only for heavy bass, they add to the over all sound of the music. You dont always have crank it and you can set it to play between hi and mid's.
    I really dont see how a subwoofer in your boot could possible produce mid to high frequencies and still be audible by the passengers.
    I garentee, once you listen with a sub woofer, you will never go back..I know I wont. Once you install a quality sound system..you wont even want to drive your car without it.
    I did have a decent sound system installed in my car before. I do agree it can add a lot to the music but it can also be a right pain.
    They tend to take up a lot of space in the boot and you might as well paint a sign on the car saying break in and steal me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast