Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riaa To Sue Song Swappers?

I am sure you all have heard or read the news "RIAA to track heaviest song swappers and sue them". Supposevley the RIAA has no choice, but I don't belive that to be true. People being sued will likely be sued for 150,000.00 in damages. That is outragous, considering people don't have 150,000.00 worth in song or movie files. I think the RIAA is just out to make a few extra bucks but maybe not. Well, I am sure you all have something to say about this! So lets hear it!

For the full article RIAA to sue Song Swappers - Click Here

Bye Guys/Girls!

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Retired
    5 Reasons Not To Be Afraid Of The Riaa

1) RIAA is an American organisation. They have absolutely no juristiction outside the USA.

2) Potential targets of the RIAA are only people who download and upload several GB per DAY.

3) Even if you are one of the few who download so much music, then Kazaa Lite has an option to hide your list of shared files. It will then look like you share nothing at all.

4) There are millions of people in the USA alone that participate in file-sharing. Everytime the RIAA is in the news, they have 'caught' only a handfull of people (only 0 to 5 people per month&#33. So your changes of getting 'caught' are less than 1 to a million. Or virtually 0 when one of the reasons above applies.

5) Those few people that got 'caught' usually only received a warning letter. There are only a few cases known of people who actually got a fine. The highest one was $7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.

Conclusion: happy filesharing to everybody

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Well said, {I}{K}{E}

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Retired
    Originally posted by [-Crono-]@26 June 2003 - 20:07
    Well said, {I}{K}{E}
    it are Paul's words

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    The highest one was $7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.
    hmm, why dont i meet anyone like this in SS?? most i ever seen is <100 000 files
    <insert signature here>

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I heard about this on the news (BBC - one of the main UK channels ). They said companies like the RIAA are trying to clamp down on peer to peer sharing. They ended by quoting some spokesperson saying "the battle against filesharing starts today". But I haven&#39;t been bothered by anyone yet and doubt I will be.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Snowboarder@25 June 2003 - 21:20
    That is outragous, considering people don&#39;t have 150,000.00 worth in song or movie files.
    a guy in New Jersey robbed(with only a butterfly knife) a small bank two minutes after it opened in the morning. he left with only &#036;40(and change). He was later convicted for the crime. The sentence? 12 years...(will probably get out in 5 with good behavior)... all for only &#036;40...

on the other hand, what the RIAA is somewhat like terrorism. their objective is to scare people and stop file-sharing... :mad:

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    There are 4 millon users on line now in k-lite. there is no way they can stop all of us. They would have to shut down kazaa to stop us... then we all go to es 5....But we can all stop buying there music. I think that would hurt.....

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Yeah, I saw the idiot Lawyer (for the RIAA) on the TV News trying to sound tough.
    You see, they&#39;ve tried everything else and nothing has stopped us, but that&#39;s not to say they won&#39;t use everything at their disposal.
    Don&#39;t be surprised if you see a couple of us go down.
    They want to put fear in us&#33;

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Well the actuall fines have never amounted to much more than 2 cents per file, so all I can say is blah, blah. Also I&#39;ll see those dimwits throwing rocks at a tidlewave all day as we move to more secure p2p programs such as ES5. They had their chance to take part in Napster, a centralized system. Instead they pratically created KaZaa themselves, and we shall move foward again, f**k &#39;em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast