Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Anyone with road runner?

Here's a Grabit guide:

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...e-grabit-69159

Your download speed will vary depending on network traffic.
    The speeds people post are just "bragging rights"--many times it will be slower than stated. If your getting 655kbs, that's fine. I would imagine it doesn't matter too much which RR server you connect to. I'm in Ohio and connect to southern California server. The thing to keep in mind is how long files are kept on the servers. This is called retention times. You can pay monthly for access to servers that will retain files for up to 200 days. You'll have to research that more if you get hardcore into newsgroups. I'm at work, so I can't bring up my Grabit, but just go into some of the menus and take your time looking at config. details. I think you'll find setup info on amount of connections.

2. Newsgroups   -   #52
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    delete
    Last edited by freeinvites; 05-16-2010 at 07:53 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #53
    All you other assholes using RR's servers need to stop! The speeds are getting really awful during peak house. I have been using them since they outsourced and the situation has become progressively worse. A year ago maxing out my 7mbit line was no problem with 8 connections. When I got upgraded to 10mbit in March, 8 connections was still plenty. Then this summer shit got quite awful and I had to go up to 20 connections just to pull 5-7mbit (500-800kbps) during peak hours and max speed (1200kbps) during off-peak. You can go higher than 20 connections but in my experience there is no return. I'm guessing newshosting has their RR accounts on a low priority line so the more users there are, the slower the speeds are. The other possibility is newshosting uses ghetto bandwidth like Cogent that is always shit during peak hours. At any rate I hope RR doesn't wise up and shut down this gravy train. I would advise trying to keep it on the down low and not telling every swinging dick out there how to get free access to the greatest treasure chest on the net.
    Last edited by ZenFountain; 11-06-2007 at 10:50 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #54
    ive been having having trouble with northeast ohio newsgroup ive been using news-server.roadrunner.com.................is there another address i can use

5. Newsgroups   -   #55
    im not complaining.im asking a question.duh

does anyone know another newsgroup address for northeast ohio besides news-server.roadrunner.com.if theres another address please let me know
    Last edited by wlewarski; 12-03-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Newsgroups   -   #56
    thanks im from the cleveland area.ill try and see if these work

works great , thanks
    Last edited by wlewarski; 12-03-2007 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Newsgroups   -   #57
    toasted
    What was that cleveland area newsgroup server for roadrunner again.

8. Newsgroups   -   #58
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by psxcite View Post
    You pay for a premium newserver for the rentention. Roadrunner has a 2 or 3 day max on the major groups. For instance, alt.binaries.dvdr - try and grab something that was posted a week ago. You can't.
    I get the crappy retention if I use a newsreader to try and download but if I have the nzb I get about 100 days even for the big groups. I think the server only allows you to download headers that go a few days back. I'm in San Antonio and I max my bandwidth even with 1 connection, 10mbit.

Time Warner is testing a pay for amount of download. They are running trials in Beaumont.. I hope they never use that.. i leech 1TB+ every month..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456