Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone with road runner?

-------------- BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Does anyone here use road runner for newsgroup downloads? what speeds do you usually get. my max dl is about 650 KB/s when i download from torrent sites but i rarely get that when downloading from newsgroups. i usually get about 250-300 from newsgroup downloads with 4 connections. what're ur experiences with road runner. do they limit newsgroup download speed for you also.

i'm not complaining though because those are pretty good speeds for a free service but just wanted to know if other ppl were getting similar speeds.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    I'm not quite maxing out my 10Mbps with only 4 connections so I'm only pulling in about 7.5-8Mbps. It's pretty good for free and so far I haven't ran into any capping or download limit issues, so I'm happy! Just encase your wondering the most I've ever downloaded was about 600+GB. Retention is also great, the oldest file I've downloaded so far has been 100 days, but that was a few months back so I don't know if that's still the case.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm in Austin and used to use my RR news service almost constantly. The highest speeds I've seen with it are around 820, though normally max at around 800. I used to see frequent irregularities in speeds so I eventually went to Newshosting and then on to Giganews, where I currently have an account.

yo

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Thanks for the input guys. So its not just me who's not maxing out their speeds. I think the speed fluctuates probably because their newsgroup service is free and im sure amazing number of people use it, especially in a crowded place as my neighborhood. yea, i get the same great retention of about 100 days also. I try not to download too much so they won't start capping my speeds or downloads. maybe about 100 gigs max per month.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I don't think very many users are utilizing it. Probably has more to do with how RR prioritizes their bandwidth.

Also, not sure if you have the same limits as me, but I've downloaded an incredible amount of data in a month and was never "capped" or warned.

Just my two pennies.
    Last edited by Skizo; 08-04-2007 at 01:01 AM.

yo

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    aburyach's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Always max around 835kB/s, great ISP.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I'm in the DFW area with RR's 10Mbps Down, 1Mbps Up service.

For newsgroups I can get a max of 20connections, and I average around 700-800kB/s. I think the highest I have gotten is ~1,200kB/s. I use alt binz btw. And the oldest file I have gotten was 93days old.

I have a problem with RR when it comes to torrents. Since sometime in June, I have been unable to seed my files. If I am downloading a file, I will have no problems seeding it. When I'm done downloading it however, I can't seed it anymore. And in uTorrent, the green circle turns back into a yellow triangle. I have encryption turned on, and my port is properly forwarded too. Anyone else get this problem?

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    wow. 20 connections is alot. i get max of 4 connections. i haven't had any seeding problems with RR but i use azureus. it seems like the seeding problem might be software related. have you tried any other clients or different versions of utorrent?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    20 connections! WHAT THE FUCK!

Not that I don't believe you but I'm going to dig around a little and see if I can find any info on this. I can only get 4 and if I try anymore they always fail. I'm sure if I had at least 8 I could max out my connection.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What's the difference in connections as long as you're maxing out?

I use 3 connections with RR and max out.

yo

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast