Thread: Web Hosting

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I can guess that this has been done god knows how many times (it's even been done in the About Website - Only problem is that I don't need the heavy-duty traffic that Paul does), but circumstances change - That's my excuse.

Basically, I'm looking for site hosting that has PHP/MySQL support and is cheap. The reason is because a side project of mine (not related to KL) needs a forum and to my knowledge NTL webspace doesn't support PHP which is needed for the Invision board. It also needs to manage .co.uk domain registrations - Not that much of a problem for UK hosters. Other than that, I think that's it - Just needs to be as cheap as possible.

I was first thinking of 1&1 due to their reputation, but that amounted to £80-90 per year up front - I don't have that much currently to spare. I managed to get a modest package for £15 per year + £10 for a 2-year domain from 34sp.co.uk

I'm just wondering if anyone had any others to suggest?

(BTW I can see this being in the wrong place, but I can't find the most relevant - Mods, feel free to move this. It can be deleted in five days from now anyway )

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    If a board's all you need, you can just use invisionfree

Link

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Nice, but the only problem I have is the ads that are put on them - Maybe it's out of getting used to KL but I've grown to have an intolerance of them; any way I can get rid of them, the better

Any other ideas, guys?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    hmm there are java scripts that block Pop ups and Banners that hosts put on your site.. such as <noframes> command and such.. There&#39;s alot more. Check into it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@27 June 2003 - 16:29
    hmm there are java scripts that block Pop ups and Banners that hosts put on your site.. such as <noframes> command and such.. There&#39;s alot more. Check into it
    If you do that with invisionfree then they delete your forum. So don&#39;t try it&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Lamsey+28 June 2003 - 05:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 28 June 2003 - 05:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight@27 June 2003 - 16:29
    hmm there are java scripts that block Pop ups and Banners that hosts put on your site..&nbsp; such as <noframes> command and such.. There&#39;s alot more. Check into it
    If you do that with invisionfree then they delete your forum. So don&#39;t try it&#33; [/b][/quote]
    ah i see..
    I noticed theres also a way to overlap a blank image(same as bg for example) over the banner ads and the html code required is Huge. I wish i could learn how to make em cause only generator programs seem to do it.. Wouldnt try that cause they might have Co-Workers that visually check the forums after time to time.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Go here and look for the link that says "Privacy and FWP Account Security" if you haven&#39;t already. Hope it helps.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Wolfmight+29 June 2003 - 03:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wolfmight @ 29 June 2003 - 03:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Lamsey@28 June 2003 - 05:38
    <!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight
    @27 June 2003 - 16:29

If you do that with invisionfree then they delete your forum. So don&#39;t try it&#33;
    ah i see..
    I noticed theres also a way to overlap a blank image(same as bg for example) over the banner ads and the html code required is Huge. I wish i could learn how to make em cause only generator programs seem to do it.. Wouldnt try that cause they might have Co-Workers that visually check the forums after time to time. [/b][/quote]
    most banner ads can be vanished by one line of judicious css
    and human checking is the only means of detection, you will be kicked once you get sprung