Thread: 1991 ford explorer front rearend problem

popwar's Avatar Popwar
    i have a 1991 ford explorer 4x4 v-6. ever since about a month ago i notice a crunch when i turn my steering wheel back and forth in park. and when im driving down the road it sounds like i have a bad wheel bearing but i checked them and they were fine. when i reach speed at about 45 or up this loud vibrating noise can be felt/heard comming from the front end. im thinkin its bad ujoints because the tailshaft bearings move up and down side to side i dont think they're suppose to do this. or i might just need to get another front rearend. any suggestions?? the vibration gets louder when faster quieter when i slow down..

2. Lounge   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Front rear end ? Must be made in China ? I tease I tease , replace the universal joint .
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-04-2007 at 05:03 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    lol. the lady i got it from said its the mexican version being made in mexico i guess. lolz idk. but are you sure if i replace the ujoints the vibrating and wheel bearing type noise will go away ? i dont have to get a new front rear end?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Oh believe me I'm guessing but other symptoms of a failing U-joint are vibrations from the drive shaft, noticeable especially between 25 and 35 mph or shudder on acceleration and/or squeaking noises. It would be the cheaper option no ?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    25-35 its like a clunk clunk clunk clunkclunkclunkclunk as i pick up speed then starts to vibrate at 45 and gets louder. i can get a front rear end for 100 dollars

6. Lounge   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    if you are not sure what the cause is rather than replace something that may or may not be the cause perhaps you should have a mechanic diagnose it for you first. Sure you have to pay for the diagnosis but at least you wouldn't be risking replacing something that's not broken.
    This of course assumes you can locate an honest competent mechanic.

If the frontbottom isn't the problem why replace it? does the sausage rattle when inserted?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    I'd take it to a shop get an estimate let them test drive it , you don't have to get them to do the work just make sure they put it back together . Its a 4x4 too so thats alot of work . Good luck tho bud .

8. Lounge   -   #8
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    my dad is a mechanic but he is wanting to wait til the evening to look at it. he doesnt have a garage or a lift. he thinks its the u joints . the 4x4 doesnt work anyways.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    i put new wheel bearings in the front drivers side it stopped the clunking noise but still havent got to drive it enuff to notice vibrating or not. but i found out that the lower ball joint was really bad and about to fall off. so i gotta get one of those

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    sell it for scrap and get new one