Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Ass Question About Copyright

Yes but radio stations are broadcasting to the public

If I invite you round to my house and play you a track I have recorded from the radio neither of us is breaking the law - even if you record it as well, or I give you a copy I have made

but I don't see the RIAA going after people who own stereo systems !!

So instead of inviting you round to my house I say "i'll play you the track over my computer" - where is the difference ?

Obviously there is a difference somewhere

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by velcrom@28 June 2003 - 07:47

So instead of inviting you round to my house I say "i'll play you the track over my computer" - where is the difference ?

Obviously there is a difference somewhere
    Once again I'll point out- the difference is that instead of inviting one person over to your house, you are now actually inviting millions.
    Anyone with a internet connection has just become your new 'best friend'.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    I don't know where you live clocker, but where I come from millions of people listen to the radio and probably tape from it. Several hundred probably also watch television and record movies.

This, as I recall, is the scenario the thread starter put forward.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by JPaul@28 June 2003 - 15:54
    I don't know where you live clocker, but where I come from millions of people listen to the radio and probably tape from it. Several hundred probably also watch television and record movies.
    Well I'm one of those several hundred as well - If I was being honest, I use Kazaa to get those things that don't find their own way to the UK (e.g. music from the US).

I can't help it if they don't find it feasible to sell at stores in the UK

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Originally posted by JPaul@28 June 2003 - 08:54

This, as I recall, is the scenario the thread starter put forward.
    Not quite, JPaul.

If I invite you over to my house and say "Listen to this cool new song I just taped off the radio", you listen and then leave. Unless we got to the trouble of duping the tape, you leave with nothing more than a fond memory.
    If I say "Here's a cool new song I ripped off the internet, why don't you download it?" then you actually have a physical ( well, digital) copy of that song and with p2p you also have the ability to physically give that file to millions of other people simply by leaving your computer on.

A fine distinction perhaps, but I think a major one as far as the RIAA is concerned.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Specious and irrelevant, clocker

The question posed made no mention of this invitation, shared enjoyment of music or incitement to commit crime. It simply asked the difference between taping from the radio and downloading from the internet, in terms of breach of copyright.

Back to my original answer, none.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by velcrom@28 June 2003 - 14:07

Both ways you end up with a music track for your own use that you didn't necessarily buy.

In fact now I come to review the post, he specifically mentioned that it was for his own use. Not to be shared amongst his nearest and dearest.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    How right you are.

Too bad for your argument that p2p doesn't work unless you do share.
    Hence the crackdown on filesharers and not home tapers.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@28 June 2003 - 16:18
    How right you are.

Too bad for your argument that p2p doesn't work unless you do share.
    Hence the crackdown on filesharers and not home tapers.
    What on earth has that got to do with my argument that there is no fundamental difference, from a breach of copyright viewpoint.

Sorry, I think you must have inadvertently slipped into drivel mode.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    If I say "Here's a cool new song I ripped off the internet, why don't you download it?" then you actually have a physical ( well, digital) copy of that song and with p2p you also have the ability to physically give that file to millions of other people simply by leaving your computer on.

If a friend came over then I could say why don't you get it of the radio, that is similar to them downloading it as they still end up with the song.
    Who uses tapes to record of the radio anymore, or at all? Mini disc for me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast