Thread: Google Filters Torrents From Search Results

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "Google has been filtering its search results for years. That’s proven very useful for the Chinese government, and of course content owner representatives like the MPAA and RIAA. According to Google, the filtering of torrents from the search results is a response to the DMCA complaints they receive."

"So, apparently one day Google decided that it is illegal in nearly every country of the world to host a .torrent file that (allegedly) links to infringing material. Strange, because there is no legal precedent for this decision in most countries.
    The owner of SumoTorrent told TorrentFreak that he discovered that A search on Google for sumotorrent now triggers the following message at the bottom of the results page:

“In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org.”

"A search for other BitTorrent sites like Torrentspy and Torrentreactor comes up with the same message (note. the sites are still indexed but some results are removed). Strangely enough, for torrentreactor it only shows up for a search on the .com domain."

"According to Google the filtered search results are caused by DMCA complaints , but the owner of SumoTorrent is a little surprised by this. He has no clue why the “content owner” didn’t contact him directly because he generally processes takedown notices within 24 hours. Unfortunately the link Google provides to the complaint in question doesn’t work, and a search on ChillingEffects.org doesn’t really help much either."

"One of the few BitTorrent related DMCA complaints Google received concerned Paris Hilton’s famous . This notice was sent by Jim Salomon, the brother of Rick Salomon who used to date Paris. The complaint is hilarious, Jim even complains why it takes Google more than 4 hours to remove the .torrent in question. Funny or not, eventually Google decided to remove the .torrent file in question from their search results."

"What Google has done isn’t really that revolutionary because most administrators of BitTorrent sites take down torrent files themselves upon request. However, the main reason for this is that they don’t want endless legal battles. They see it as a service to the content owners to remove the .torrent files if a decent request is made. But I kind of hoped that Google would make a stand here, wishful thinking so it seems. So what do you think? Should Google filter their results like this?"

Source: TorrentFreak
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    WHen I searhc for sumotorrent all results show...

torrentspy and torrentreactor both show but it says 1 result was filtered

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    I don't use google, I use Yahoo. Did Yahoo filter?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    This new posting is a lie. Just search '[somethin'] ext:torrent' and you should get alota results.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    WHen I searhc for sumotorrent all results show...

torrentspy and torrentreactor both show but it says 1 result was filtered
    Mine shows everything as well for sumotorrent, and shows 3 sites filtered when searching torrentspy, though the tracker itself is still listed as the first result.

Also, they don't seem to have filtered any actual torrents. When searching for a random torrent name I grabbed off of Scenetorrents, Google still turns up plenty of torrents - The Illusionist PAL MULTi 5 1 DVDR-PLD

Also, it seems you trimmed the story in an odd spot. The part about Paris Hilton appears cut off.

yo

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    We need to read this clearly:
    "
    Google has been filtering its search results for years. That’s proven very useful for the Chinese government, and of course content owner representatives like the MPAA and RIAA. According to Google, the filtering of torrents from the search results is a response to the DMCA complaints they receive."

The sites which have course content ownership to run the website then it eill show up in the result. But, If its not Registered then it eon't show up. Plenty of chinese websites hide they right to access their website. This have a large impact on the global talkings about chinese dominanace. It is not applicable for torrentspy or torrentreactor....

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    I just did a test after being freaked out reading this and I still got tons of results back.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    yea this filter is very mild

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    phantom's Avatar the shadow... BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    this news is true at all...
    my opinion about this, ha, i think that what is happen is very annoying for all users of google and if the internet comunity don't pay attention at all kind of this annoying changes we will see in one day that all the internet is only one censorship and nothing else... u know... ofcorse is only my opinion... in fact right now a lot of information are audited on the internet and a lot of information have censorship... so the future is not so far away...
    This is not at all good news...

to be, or not to be... what do u choose?