Thread: How Much Memory?

Poster
    I was wondering how much memory of ur Graphic/Video Card do u use for Texture? i have a 128 MB card and was looking for some tips or how much i should use?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Please post your system specs whenever you want a hardware recommendation.

RAM especially, in this case.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    i have a P4 2.4 GHz PC with 512 MB Ram (will be adding another 512 tho) with a 80 Gig Hard Drive. and my card is a GeForce FX 5200 128 MB Card

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Okay, here's my advice, and I don't even play games. Actually I have Vice City, it is pretty cool.

If you have not downloaded it yet, download RivaTuner:

Here

It is the ultimate tweaking Nvidia utility. Make sure to read the read me (RTFM, lol).

Go to your system BIOS while booting up, by pressing DELETE or F2 or whatever it says on your screen while your computer is booting to enter the BIOS. Find the setting called AGP Aperture. Read about AGP Aperture size here

Set it accordingly. With a 128 MB card I would set it to 128 MB and set your textures to 64, because with a card like you have, you shoul d not need too much extra texture memory, but that is something I could be incorrect about. Just read the stuff at the Riva tuner site and you should be pretty well educated on the bit by them my friend.

Enjoy the Riva Tuner, it is really cool...make sure you get release canidate 12.4 and download the latest Nvidia drivers (44.03).

Another thing that is cool about the Riva Tuner is the fact that you can emulate a quadro card via software adjustment, under low level system settings on the Riva tuner. That is called the NV strap driver. It gives excellent image boost as well as a stability boost.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    i tried rivatunerand it doesn;'t like my card i tried over clocking tho but instad got the pink dotter screen but i didn't break anything (Thank You God ) i was just wondering how much Video Memory to use to texturize but i didn't know Riva Tuner had that Quadro Emulator so i might check that ouot thanks.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    what software is better to emulate the quadro the Quadro or Quadro4?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Pitbul@29 June 2003 - 09:11
    i tried rivatunerand it doesn;'t like my card i tried over clocking tho but instad got the pink dotter screen but i didn't break anything (Thank You God ) i was just wondering how much Video Memory to use to texturize but i didn't know Riva Tuner had that Quadro Emulator so i might check that ouot thanks.
    If you have a CRT, degauss your screen to get rid of the pink dots.
    As a general rule, overclocking your card by more than 5% is totally safe. More than that you are on your own as far as damage is concerned.

The Quadro Card is a professional, CAD level card; read about it Here

You can emulate the Quadro4 550 XGL in Riva tuner by going to "low level system tweaks">NV strap driver>NV strap driver>NV strap Open GL settings> professional Quadro capabilities>install>force on. You need to reboot twice in this case (once to install the strap driver, and once to force on the Quadro capabilities.

"SoftQuadro is widely used by students and professionals that want to get the most out of their NVIDIA GeForce(x) cards. The professional level cards by NVIDIA, such as Quadro, Quadro2 and Quadro DCC share the same GPU with the GeForce cards. The only difference in performance is that Quadro cards use special Professional features that are disabled in the GeForce cards. Until SoftQuadro was released, the only way to turn GeForce cards into Quadros was to physically solder several transistors on the boards thus forcing the card to send back a Device ID that corresponds to a Quadro card, thus enabling the drivers to recognize it as such. SoftQuadro simply patches the drivers and forces the Professional features of the card to be used."

As far as texture memory, allocate 128 MB as your arpeture size, and allocate 64 MB of textures in PCI mode and you should be fine. Just make sure that your minmapping level of detail (LOD) is not too low as that will slow down performance on games.

If you really want to find the best settings, you will have to experiment. Every system, just like every person, is different.