Thread: US Pirate Party Starts in Utah

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The Pirate Party of the United States, a sister organization to the Swedish Piratpartiet, has officially announced that it is forming a state party in Utah. This is the first state that this burgeoning political party has announced it is forming in."

"With the focus on the mine collapse in Utah high in the news right now, cynics might say that this is nothing more than a cheap attempt to gain publicity, at the expense of others. To that, Ray Jenson, the interim administrator for the Utah party responded “We’ve actually been working for quite a long time on this–over a month–and the timing really couldn’t be helped. It was ready when it was ready. If it had been two days, or two weeks from now, I’m sure we still would have had the same result.” He also added, “It’s a tragedy. Our best wishes are with those miners and their families, wherever they might be.”

Utah is, of course, no stranger to debate on copyright and its infringement. Some of the most controversial statements and proposals on dealing with it have come from Utah Senator Orin Hatch. Mr Jenson commented “In general, he seems as though he sincerely believes what he’s doing is the right thing. I hope that some education on the issue can alert him to the fact that what he’s been proposing is not always in the best interests of the public.” Indeed, it’s hard to say how destroying people’s computers could be in the public interest, especially when there is no way of definitively proving, even after months of court discovery, that someone was infringing, and as we all know, it turned out that his campaign site was itself infringing copyright.

Mr Jenson has no plans, however, for running for any offices at this time, saying “one step at a time, we’re concentrating on getting the party and it’s issues recognized at the present”.

More details can be found here[.]" [Check source for link]

Source: TorrentFreak
    TorrentFreak: MPAA: Pirate Party Politicians Are Illegitimate Thieves - September 12, 2007
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    By the way, *knock* *knock* Homeland Security.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 09-13-2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Updated.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    If I lived in Utah, i'd vote pirate.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I think i just become a Pirate Party member!GAAAR!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    low_dirt's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    does this have ANY chance of gaining MSM attention/coverage? unfortunately, i doubt it.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.speedtest.net/result/228206068.png

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    RedHeron
    You know, I'm really happy to see all of the positive responses I've had over the past while. And it's really... REALLY cool to see that this isn't something that people don't honestly want me to do. Well, except people who post without reading stuff first.

Just wanted to thank everyone. The Pirate Party is moving quicker than I had hoped... maybe we might have to look at other states, too.

Sincerely,

RedHeron, aka
    Ray Jenson
    Interim Administrator
    Pirate Party of Utah

Quote Originally Posted by deuce6000 View Post
    I think i just become a Pirate Party member!GAAAR!
    If you're referring to the "register" button on the Pirate Party's web site, all that does is register to the forums.

Sorry about the confusion, and you're far from the only person to think this.

To be a member, you need to register to vote, and declare your party as "Pirate".

If you're in Utah, signing our petition will allow us to put a candidate on the ballot, as well as getting us listed as an official party. In the past 20 years, 25 parties have registered in Utah. Without the continuation of votes at a level of 2% of the popular vote in Utah, the Pirate Party won't last. Of these 25 parties, only one has maintained enough of a share of the voting population to allow it to maintain political party status.

This in a state that seems at first to be filled with conservative Republicans. And we're unofficially over the 5% mark for the collection so far. Official numbers haven't been made available yet.
    Last edited by RedHeron; 08-19-2007 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    WhiteWizard20's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Sounds interesting . . . I'd vote Pirate too.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Updated with latest: MPAA: Pirate Party Politicians Are Illegitimate Thieves

Check top
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    From the new article:
    “On the other hand, I think the statement may be partly out of fear. There’s one thing that beats all their lawyers, war chests and monopolies. Just one. That one thing is votes in a democratic election, and that’s what we have and they don’t.
    Ok I really need to brush up on the philosophy behind the Pirate Party (and I suggest every one else does as well).
    Last edited by Brenya; 09-16-2007 at 01:23 AM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    haha thats pretty funny

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Thanks for the seatmap SQFlyerGirl! I am definitely eyeing some of the Y seats on the upper deck when they start flying to LHR.