Thread: American Civil War Trilogy

Hi Guys

I just finished watching the movie Gods and Generals by Ted Turner. And as an amateur military historian was very impressed with it.

It the "behind the scenes" the director mentions a civil war trilogy, of which "Gettysburg" was the first.

Does anyone know when the third movie will be out or what it will cover ?

Kind Regards

Digby

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    fastplumb's Avatar D'rip
    REGARDING "THE LAST FULL MEASURE":
    Many of you have written, asking if the film version of this book is being produced, to complete the Civil War trilogy. Unfortunately, because of the poor box office results for "Gods and Generals", Ted Turner has dropped all plans to finance a film version of "Last Full Measure". Someone else may yet step forward, but so far, no one in Hollywood has shown interest. Despite the many rumors to the contrary, I'm sorry to say that no film is now in the works.
    Jeff Shaara.
    I hope that answers your question

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Thanks fastplumb

Yes I just watched the commentary on Gods And Generals and it did mention that the third movie will be called the last measure.

I am in my mid 50's and a bit of a history buff living in New Zealand. And I had never heard of this movei till I went to oru lcoal video store where I saw it on the shelves at the cheap weekly rate.

I had heard o f Gettysburg and I have seen Glory which I though was very good. Ted turner has pots of doh. I can understand why it got poor box office results, for a start it is a poor title it gives you no idea what it is about. Also all the generals are Christian so there is only one God. And I never saw it promoted on tv like most movies are.

Thats a shame because they did put o lot of effort in Gods and Generals. Have you seen it ? The battle scenes are very realistic (in my opinion) and all the re-actors performed very well.

Kind Regards

Digby

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    fastplumb's Avatar D'rip
    yes i have seen it them, I have Gettysburg, Gods And Generals and Glory in my collection.
    I believe Ted Turner owns TV channels like
    The Cartoon Network,CNN & TNT(that often plays Gettysburg, Gods And Generals) he to is an American Civil war fan and he even plays a small part in Gettysburg as Col.Waller T. Patton (did you spot him?).
    yeah hes got about $75 million in his wallet its a shame he wont fund the
    "Last Full Measure".
    I cant think of an other good American civil war movies you would like but have you seen The Alamo 2004 yet thats pretty good ?

Last edited by fastplumb; 08-12-2007 at 01:47 PM.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Gee you are fast !

Yes I saw the Alamo 2004 the other day. I was very impressed. Once again very realistic, and good acting.

I did not see Ted, I'll have to watch it again.

Regards

Digby