Thread: How do I replace Windows XP OS from English to French Edition

kallieb's Avatar Spamaholic BT Rep: +4
    I hope the subject line was not too confusing, but I wanted to catch someone's eye. I really need some help.

I provided an old desktop computer to a friend. I had Windows XP Home - English Edition running as the OS. My friend is french-speaking only, so he is struggling with the english only menus, help features, etc etc.

I found what appears to be a reliable download of xp home edition in french from one of my torrent sites, and could easily obtain an ISO/Crackz of a french language xp program.

My concern is that I have never switched operating systems before. Do I have to delete the original english version before installing the french one???? How exactly do I do this. I tried google (it is our bestfriend after all!!) but I'm finding way too much information when I do a search, but not the answer I'm looking for.

Could someone who is familiar with this task, and knows well how to do this, please post back (or PM -- whichever is more convenient) with simple explaination/steps as to what I should do.

Thank you very much in advance. This is greatly appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That you for taking the time to track that link down for me, but I tried that option already and it did not work very well for me. All it did was screw up my computer. For some reason, my computer is missing one of the screens that the microsoft tutorial suggests you *click*.

Arer there any other options out there others can suggest???? What I am looking to do is replace the existing english windows xp os with the french language version.

Thanks for any help that can be suggested.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I just goggled and tried Microsoft Knowledge base , you should n't have to reformat and reinstall tho ?

If you have to do a clean install just make sure you have your sound drivers , easy to find on the net but thats a pain you don't need . Do you just need a guide to help you ?

If you want to reinstall there's help here :

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...at-start-97309

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Greetings fellow Canadian!!

I appreciate the time and effort to find the solution, and the link to the FST thread is very helpful. I should have taken the extra time to search the forums here myself. The screens and directions look like it will do the trick.

Thanks again!!!!!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kallieb View Post
    Greetings fellow Canadian!!

I appreciate the time and effort to find the solution, and the link to the FST thread is very helpful. I should have taken the extra time to search the forums here myself. The screens and directions look like it will do the trick.

Thanks again!!!!!!
    Your welcome , ya the guides are still there but in fairness very hard too find .
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-12-2007 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost