Thread: Posting requests to newsgroups

Can anyone tell me what software is good for posting requests to the newsgroups.

I tried requesting through my newsreader. However, when chatting with my news server support, he told me that whatever I post through my newsreader will only be read by subscribers to that
    specific news server I subscribe to. It's called the "web gateway" on Usenet.com's servers.

I'm trying to find software that will post my requests to the masses of people reading off sites like newzleech.com.

Any information would be much appreciated.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    im not aware of a program that does this for you but for specific requests you can use irc. alt-bin.com has all the commands and info you would need for posting a request. keep in mind that when you post a request you need to post it in the correct channel pertaining to what you are requesting app/game/music etc. i dont think there is one channel to post it on all of usenet that would be really chaotic and unorganized.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I remember on efnet there are a shitload of channels for requesting stuff on irc. You gotta find the right channel though.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    try powerpost: http://powerpost.cjb.net/

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    try setting up your client to post using your isp's usenet server. most allow posting of txt files so you should be fine.

newsleecher has a drop down menu when you post a new message or reply to one that lets you pick which server to use.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    A newsreader like Forte Agent works well for text and some binary work. Just put text Req: filename and post to the NG you have chosen. It is however doubtful unless you are a known user in the community that somebody will share your request.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Thank you all for all your information!

One thing I did notice was when going to look at one of my requests in the web gateway, was when looking at the "raw" data of my post.

It had something called newfeeds.com and and xreport. Does anyone know what these things are all about?

Another thing noticed was that a lot of people don't put
    their real e-mail addressed when posting requests. It's pretty
    apparent when most people posting e-mail addresses
    like [email protected].
    Last edited by Mr.K; 08-19-2007 at 05:37 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.K View Post
    Another thing noticed was that a lot of people don't put their real e-mail addressed when posting requests. It's pretty apparent when most people posting e-mail addresses like [email protected].
    Use a 'real' email address if you want to have to totally abandon any use of it within, oh, about 5 minutes. It'll take about that long before that email in-box is overwhelmed by spam. Then you'll have to 'make nice' with government agents who will be calling. Then you won't need an email address, because they don't allow folks in Guantanamo Bay internet access.

In short, a rapid spiral toward destruction