Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think My Harddrive Is Broke.

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    ma hard drive has started making funny noises, its kinda like the noise it makes when it coming out of standby like a relay click or something, it just kinda does this random, ive currently got it on my second pc as the slave drive and important data backed up, or most it anyway.
    so do you think its on its way out??? and i should be ordering another one soon.
    i think its about 2/3 years old, but not to sure.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    The way you mention the symptom, it may very well be on its way out. Have you tried running scandisk on the drive to search for bad sectors/blocks?

Scandisk does not fix bad blocks, it only attempts to identify, mark them and identify/restore any data/files that have become 'lost'.

If you run scandisk and find bad blocks (sectors), one way I know to get rid of bad blocks is to to reformat the disk concerned. I use the dos FORMAT command with the /U and /C options. If the bad block can be used it resets them as so. But if there are lost, something caused this in the first place. So replacing would be the next agenda.

Good luck.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i tried runnign candisk ion thourgh but it stopped, or pc crashed, cant remember. its only the 2nd pc really, i was thinking of getting another pc soon. ive got it disconected the now, and i have emule running on it, i'll leave it for a while and give scandisk a go.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Livy@30 June 2003 - 14:22
    i tried runnign candisk ion thourgh but it stopped, or pc crashed, cant remember. its only the 2nd pc really, i was thinking of getting another pc soon. ive got it disconected the now, and i have emule running on it, i'll leave it for a while and give scandisk a go. 
    That's almost 99% indication (stops/crashes) it's on it's way out the door. If you have anything on it that you want to preserve, I would probably shut it down until you get the replacement drive and transfer. Otherwise you may one day, minute, moment, second or blink find it completely dead before you wish it farewell.

I say 99% because there just may be a 1% it could be salvagable, but not likely.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    dudevenezuela's Avatar VIP
    Mine scandisk crash too or restart itself it says to close all programs but eving closing it it will restart or crash!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    its the slave drive on my other computer, and i have ive got it disconnected the now. ive got a couple of cd images to burn before ive got the room to move the stuff over to this computer. its mostly music, and some of my brothers stuff, but ive already backed up his stuff.
    hehe, looks like another excuse to get a new pc,

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by dudevenezuela@30 June 2003 - 14:34
    Mine scandisk crash too or restart itself it says to close all programs but eving closing it it will restart or crash!!
    Have you tried running defrag?
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    dudevenezuela's Avatar VIP
    Now my scan disk work and not my defrag.. tool

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Twist3r
    my PC makes noises like the gear are skipping or somthing

i hope it brakes so my dad will buy a new one

i only on a 700mhz 20 gig 128mb ram 8mb video

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by dudevenezuela@30 June 2003 - 17:00
    Now my scan disk work and not my defrag.. tool
    Try downloading an alternate disk defragger like Diskeeper. Just select the trial home version and install.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast