Thread: Problem with some codes -->"<-- autoconverted to &quot;

game1283's Avatar "ǝuo ǝɥʇ" BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7

Arrow

Some sites do that when you enter a code like " or < or > in comments or somewhere else.. they autoconvert it to something like &quot; just to correct it up... but what if I need to add some formatting on it? it won't work because they just do convert < or > to their symbols..

Can I do anything to stop the autoconversion and modify it's format using < or > just like coding a wepage?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Sites do this deliberately to stop you fuxxing up their HTML.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    SaveFerris's Avatar ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    The idea is that you aren't supposed to add formatting, it's their website and as Barbarossa said, they don't want you fuxxing with it. So the answer is no, you can't.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by game1283 View Post
    Some sites do that when you enter a code like " or < or > in comments or somewhere else.. they autoconvert it to something like &quot; just to correct it up... but what if I need to add some formatting on it? it won't work because they just do convert < or > to their symbols..

Can I do anything to stop the autoconversion and modify it's format using < or > just like coding a wepage?
    Usually, it's b/c you've copy&pasted something from a forum or site which utilizes different tags. Often times it can be fixed by changing some capitalization or editing the tags to suit the sites proper tagging methods. Basically, just play with it a bit.

yo

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    I'm back! :o BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    And the simple answer is....

Theres not a thing you can do unless its your site and you have FTP access.

Going into details we have the reason...

The reason its showing the ASCII code of the character and not the actual character itself is because it is stripped. Im guessing the site you mention is PHP/MySQL based and to protect against SQL injection they will use the function below (example)

$_POST['query'] = htmlentities($_POST['query'])

That will take all characters that are not alphanumeric and convert to the ASCII value.

They could, However, Fix that by allowing it to be decoded again for the web browser by using something like:

echo html_entity_decode($query);

But again, If its not your site and you dont have FTP access, Theres pretty much nothing you can do
    Last edited by fook3d; 08-24-2007 at 06:44 PM.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    game1283's Avatar "ǝuo ǝɥʇ" BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    ok guys.. thanks for thoughts..