Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private Trackers: Are They Risky ?

sert's Avatar t r e s BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    I strongly recommend to install roboform with firefox extension and different password for each site, preferably generated from roboform's utility "password generator" with more than 10 characters.

Also better don't use the built-in password manager of IE & firefox.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Nothing in the internet is totally secured.It's up to you to secure your existance and then you can feel more safe (but never totally safe).Every code that looks secured today may be unsecured in a few hours so you never be sure.Random and different password in every tracker is a good start.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    No, its not risky at all

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    BANNED BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    after what happened i guess that all trackers well have new privacy policy

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    KevinGarnet's Avatar Filesharing lover BT Rep: +3
    all private sites are risky.. but i think you can use it and don't care about problems..
    just use different passwords..

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    tacoflavakiss's Avatar Not My Blood!! BT Rep: +4
    Just use a different password at all your private trackers and you'll be fine.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Might be a good idea to have, in parallel to the WIAW ratings, a shit list of known sites where they compromise your identity, such as storing passwords as plain text.

If a budding community were aware that they, if they are caught using plain text passwords, would be placed in the shit list, would ensure that such a practice wasn't practised.

If we are aware of places that disrespect their members, then maybe it is our (FST) duty to alert as many people as possible that a community tracker is abusing the trust shown by their members. After all, we know that stock TB script does NOT store passwords as plaintext, so there can only be one excuse to store them as plain text, and that is to harvest passwords to steal accounts at other trackers.

Do we really want such scum represented here? Should we not warn others of the scum that store passwords as plain text?

I'd be interested in what the management think about having a shit list. I think it may prove a worthwhile addition to the bit torrent section of FST.

Opinions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12