Thread: I hate my bank!

Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty

I just looked at my account and realised I was overdrawn because my bank charged me £25.
    When I phoned them up to ask why I was charged this money, they advised me I'd been overdrawn the month previous for £6 for about 4 hours (!)

When I asked for the charge to be refunded, as it classifies as unfair treatment under the banking code, I was told only my branch can do this.
    My branch is open from 9.15 to 4.45. I work from 8.45 to 5.00

So now, because I'm overdrawn by £3 because of this charge, I'm looking at a £50 charge for being £6 overdrawn for 4 hours

Eventually I got them to agree to call me on Monday to discuss this.

It's insane

2. Lounge   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Always make sure you've got at least a grand in every bank account that you have.

That way, at least with the majority of impulse purchases, you'll never go overdrawn.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    In the US we have a saying for what banks do. Its called being "nickeled and dimed". I'm sure you have a similar saying.

I haven't been overdrawn on an account since college, but I can remember the frustrations. I was a victim of the Bank of America fiasco back in the day.

I could have several payments pending or automatic payments upcoming and the bank would run them in order of higher monetary value to lowest and not in the order they were received.

Let's say I had $100 in the bank.

I write 3 checks

$101
    $5
    $5

The FTC investigation found the part of their software where they would run the $101 check so that the other two would bounce and cause two overdraft fees instead of one.

I got a small portion of a class action lawsuit. Something like $30 er something. I know it wasn't as much as I was charged.

yo

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    In the US we have a saying for what banks do. Its called being "nickeled and dimed". I'm sure you have a similar saying.
    yes we call it "treated unfairly"

5. Lounge   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post

I just looked at my account and realised I was overdrawn because my bank charged me £25.
    When I phoned them up to ask why I was charged this money, they advised me I'd been overdrawn the month previous for £6 for about 4 hours (!)

When I asked for the charge to be refunded, as it classifies as unfair treatment under the banking code, I was told only my branch can do this.
    My branch is open from 9.15 to 4.45. I work from 8.45 to 5.00

So now, because I'm overdrawn by £3 because of this charge, I'm looking at a £50 charge for being £6 overdrawn for 4 hours

Eventually I got them to agree to call me on Monday to discuss this.

It's insane
    They'll refund it. Particularly if it's a rare thing and was only for a few hours.

When the person phones say something like "Are you authorised to credit my account with this charge" If they say "no" tell them to put you thro' to someone who can. Be nice saying something like "No offence, but there really isn't any point in us talking if you can't do it".

Seriously, under the circumstances there is no way the charge will stand. It was almost certainly generated automatically, on the basis that a lot of people won't phone about it.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    It's just so frustrating. I am NEVER overdrawn on my account, I always have some money left in my account at the end of my month so I don't even know how I could possibly have been overdrawn last month as I had money left at the end of the month in it

7. Lounge   -   #7
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Happened to me once. Twice actually now I think about it.

Direct debit dues to be paid on the first of the month. First was a Sunday so they took it out on the Friday. It was for a few hundred quids so it put the account over-drawn, not by much tho'.

I phoned the bank and said, "No, in those circumstances the money is supposed to come out on the Monday"

"Ah" she replied "That's the fault of the other company, they took it out too early"

"Definitely, their fault then" I asked.

"Absolutely" she replied"

"Then it was you, Idiot" I said "It's a Royal Bank loan, being paid from my RBS current account".

pause

"They are actually a different organisation" she mumbled.

"Put the charge back into my account and never do it again".

"ok, sorry, our bad"

8. Lounge   -   #8
    I just don't get it...

I just had a look at my account online.
    I remember looking at my account and seeing it was overdrawn and wondering why as I was sure there wsa at least £20 left in it, however, when I check it again a couple of hours later it was showing with money in it ( as I knew there should be)
    I am now checking my account balances to see if any credits have come into the account and there hasn't.

Bank fuck up, I'm sure