Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "Afraid of excessive bandwidth usage, ISPs have been throttling BitTorrent traffic for almost two years now. While most ISPs simply limit the available bandwidth for BitTorrent, Comcast has now taken it one step further, and is actively preventing its customers from seeding, if the latest user reports are to be believed. Comcast is not alone in this: Canadian ISPs Cogeco and Rogers use similar methods on a smaller scale. These more aggressive throttling methods can’t be circumvented by simply enabling encryption in a BitTorrent client, as Comcast is reportedly using an application from Sandvine to throttle BitTorrent traffic; the application apparently breaks every (seed) connection with new peers after a few seconds if it’s not a Comcast user, making it virtually impossible to seed a file, especially in small swarms without any Comcast users. Although some users report that they can still connect to a few peers, most of the Comcast customers chiming in have seen a significant drop in upload speed.

Sandvine's throttling works like this: a few seconds after one connects to a peer in the BitTorrent swarm, Sandvine sends a peer reset message (RST flag) and the upload immediately stops. Most vulnerable are users in a relatively small swarm where one only has a few peers to which to upload. However, only seeding seems to be prevented, as most users are able to upload to others while the download is still going; once the download is finished, though, the upload speed drops to 0."

Source: Neowin.Net
    TorrentFreak: Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    However, only seeding seems to be prevented, as most users are able to upload to others while the download is still going; once the download is finished, though, the upload speed drops to 0.
    That's like a second kick in the nuts.

Screws your ratio all to hell.

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    And thus, you have to use Bittorrent through SSH to get around this.

...damn. I may have to figure that out.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Sin4pz's Avatar Poster
    That would seriosuly piss me off if my isp did something like that.
    Would have to go back to public trackers unless u drop your download speeds below max uploads inorder to seed to at least 1.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    weenden's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    i can relate ive noticed that as i can throtle my winmx up to the max cant do the same for bittorrent sometimes its high other (most)times its the shits is there a program to circumvent someone has to come up with one
    im just a frigen dreamer and im waiting for them to come true ....trust(trst)n. 1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
    2. Custody; care.
    3. Something committed into the care of another; charge.
    4. a. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
    b. One in which confidence is placed.
    "and Yes people have put trust in me""and i thank you all"

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Thank god I've gots RR. I never hear a peep from/about them.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Thank god I've gots RR. I never hear a peep from/about them.
    Ditto. RR dunt give a fook.

yo

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Ac3Dunk's Avatar S.O.P-Laf BT Rep: +5
    im with comcast and i still max out my UP: 707Kb/s DL: 8972kb/s rates nothing suspected .
    #zEdit; FST is bad, it's like drugs. Mkay?

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    ApeXz's Avatar Unleash the Child BT Rep: +2
    Yep, noticed this quite a bit ago. Cant seed if my life depended on it.

Would LOVE to know if there is a way to bypass this, hopefully without switching ISPs.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    I've got comcast but so far I haven't had any issues with bittorrent.

...now whether or not that's because they just bought the time warner/road runner setup that was in this area a couple months ago, I'm not sure.

Edit: Oh and http://www.whalesalad.com/2006/08/27...rent-over-ssh/ is supposed to work...though I haven't tried it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast