Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Usenet: The Next Target in the War on Piracy

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    I just added a related link to the top post about the "state-of-the-art one of a kind encryption technology" that can be used to track the content on newsgroups. (Dated Jun 8th, 2007 on TorrentFreak)
    Wow, what another non-story. That's not really a Usenet specific technology is it? That could just as easily be used on Bittorrent. And it only effects people who got put stuff they got from a digital source in the first place.

The system is destined to roll out in 2008 when it is expected to make zero impact on the amount or type of material shared on Usenet.

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    A urban myth that was floating around, is the reason why USENET servers haven't been taken down in the past was because they only held yenc encoded files. Making you have to download heaps of parts to reconstruct a file.

This may have changed with USENET service providers offering automatically unarchived files, and direct downloads of archived files.

I think the industry has known about USENET, although its not as widely used so why target the minority. I had a job offer once to work for a Warner Entertainment, and they where making sure they where hiring a skilled pirater.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    so if this is true who would they target?

would it be the uploaders? the actual news provider e.g. newsdemon, giganews etc. or would it be the individual who downloads from it?

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    I think Brein and all the rest of them are just trying to breed paranoia in regular users that download via easy means and have no concept of the scene. If the industries want to stop the flood of warez, they would have to target the scene to effectively stop the spread. They were successful in stopping some groups but others have always risen to take the fallen's place.

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    so you don't think they will actually go after newsgroups then?

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    akshunj's Avatar Member
    First rule of Usenet. Do not talk about Usenet.

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    *“BREIN often makes statement that lead to nothing. One and a half year ago they also said that they were going to take on newsgroups, we’ll see”

*Abridged version

Edit yourself, Harry. Your breeding panic. Please don't vex the youth, lyke.

-bd

8. News (Archive)   -   #18
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I havn't even had sex.

*Lately.

Last edited by Hairbautt; 09-05-2007 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

9. News (Archive)   -   #19
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    I havn't even had sex.

*Evar.

-bd

10. News (Archive)   -   #20
    but say they did what would they do? take on the providers or the users that download or maybe the users that are uploading the content??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast