Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Usenet: The Next Target in the War on Piracy

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The first rule of Usenet is, you don’t talk about Usenet. This rule kept Usenet providers and users out of sight from anti-piracy organizations for years, but this is about to change."

"Usenet is catching up with BitTorrent in terms of popularity, partly because it is considered to be safer. However, this increased popularity also has a dark side to it, as anti-piracy organizations start monitoring newsgroups.

Tim Kuik, managing director of BREIN - the Dutch branch of the MPAA - told the Dutch news site Webwereld that the increased attention from computer magazines over the past year lowered the nerd-factor of the Usenet. Because of this it’s now become one of the main targets of anti-piracy outfits.

Kuik further said that BREIN made a blacklist of Usenet providers who structurally infringe copyright. Their plan is to urge these providers to stop their services and compensate the content owners for their losses. Some might argue that Kuik’s words are yet another loose threat to make it seem like no pirate is safe, but there is some truth in his statements.

TorrentFreak talked to an insider, who works closely with anti-piracy organizations like the MPAA and RIAA, and he also noticed that the Usenet has been getting more attention lately. “BitTorrent is still enemy number one, but there is a significant growth in Usenet monitoring”, he said. Some Usenet providers now use BitTorrent sites to advertise their services and according to our source, this is another big reason why it caught the attention of anti-piracy outfits.

The people in charge at most anti-piracy organizations hardly know how to write an e-mail, if it’s not in the media, it’s not a target. If only people kept to rule number one this probably would have never happened.

The Usenet providers are not impressed by BREIN’s strong words though. Remco Habets from Usenet provider Usenet4u said in a response: “BREIN often makes statement that lead to nothing. One and a half year ago they also said that they were going to take on newsgroups, we’ll see”

To be continued…"

Source: TorrentFreak
    Related: Anti-Piracy Outfit to Spy On Usenet, Punish Legitimate Purchasers (Jun 8th, 2007)
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-20-2007 at 12:52 AM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    /me gulps

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    /me thanks god that he never took the time to switch.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Never gonna happen.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    I just added a related link to the top post about the "state-of-the-art one of a kind encryption technology" that can be used to track the content on newsgroups. (Dated Jun 8th, 2007 on TorrentFreak)

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    switch from what? torrents?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    switch from what? torrents?

Yes.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-20-2007 at 03:14 AM.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    /me shrugs

I guess I missed something.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    Kuik further said that BREIN made a blacklist of Usenet providers who structurally infringe copyright. Their plan is to urge these providers to stop their services and compensate the content owners for their losses.
    Pinch me, I must be dreaming.
    Last edited by WHiKWiRE; 08-20-2007 at 05:51 AM.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by WHiCKWiRE View Post
    Kuik further said that BREIN made a blacklist of Usenet providers who structurally infringe copyright. Their plan is to urge these providers to stop their services and compensate the content owners for their losses.
    Pinch me, I must be dreaming.
    You're not dreaming, they are.

yo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast