Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: foul language

SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    i wanted to post this thread in the lounge but i know those lads is up to no good.
    so i just ran away and come here.

why people uses foul language ?
    what's so appealing in it that makes them use it?
    what's better have fun and make a conversation in a polite way or just calling each other names just for fun ?

i want to know your say in this matter

if you ask me i rather polite laughs and moderate dialogues

but who will ask me as i said those lads is up to no good

waiting for your feedback

For Serving Community

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    It's become commonplace these days.

I was talking this with my Mom about this the other day b/c she doesn't like to watch movies with foul language. She can get past the occasional expletive, but the constant f-bomb is what makes her turn a movie off. She told me she didn't even hear that word spoken until her senior year of high school.

Times are changing and peoples opinion of what is considered respectful or polite is changing too, I guess.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    man your mom is right movies shouldn't have too much foul lang in it
    and i agree time changes but what about values and morals
    i mean those things are constant
    and if you use foul lang a lot it will be like a habbit

For Serving Community

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bunny67's Avatar THE ORIGINAL BUNNY! BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    i agree with skizo ..did i just say that

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Foul language adds color.

In fact, those used to it don't think of it as foul....as foul meaning offensive.

Richard Pryor wouldn't have been as funny without it. That is not to discount him as a comedian since foul language doesn't in itself make someone funny.

It made him more colorful and down to Earth.

You felt he wasn't telling jokes but this was really him.

The end of that spectrum has Bill Cosby. He was funny and didn't use foul language but nowhere near as funny as Pryor. Richard Pryor tried being straight-laced and he wasn't as funny.

Do I want someone telling a joke that involves excrement as it being "having a bowel movement" or takin' a sheeeit"?

Next thing you know there'd be a shying away of comedians using improper English.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    I don't think you know what the fuck you are talking about.

I think if you don't know how to control your language for the situation and your audience then you should concentrate on eliminating using foul language altogether.

I say all type of niggas, motherfuckers, assholes, cunts, twats, shits, and whatnot but I know when not to say it.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 08-20-2007 at 03:00 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Well, I don't think she's right.

Some movies need it and are based on the language as being part of the humor or setting the scene. Look at Pulp Fiction - They say "fuck" hundreds of times and it only adds to the greatness of the movie. It's rated #5 on IMDB Top 250, but I could never even suggest for my Mom to watch it b/c she would turn it off in a matter of minutes.

Also, values are not constant. They changes as anything else does.

yo

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    I have to say there is a time and a place for everything. When I'm with my buddies just shooting the breeze than I see nothing wrong with using "foul" language. On the other hand I have no problem switching it off I'm not going to swear in front of my grandmother for instance or my boss (even though he has the foulest mouth of almost anyone I've ever met). Using swear words can also add feeling and emphasis to a conversation and help people understand where you are coming from, tough it's no replacement for the proper use of adjectives and a decent vocabulary. My daily conversations are littered with expletives and I enjoy using them you just have to know how to use them in the right context.

Sam you shouldn't take it too seriously and I'm sure that once people know you are sensitive to swearing most don't use it in front of you or in relation to you. However I disagree that movies or songs or any form of free expression should be regulated in relation to this issue. Who are any of us to tell a director or script writer what to do. If you don't like it then do what Skizo's mum does and switch it off

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I think when it comes to the entertainment industry then it has a place where it's absurd to not use it and a place where using it is absurd.
    Billy Connelly did a great skit about it once along with a song called "a four letter word"

With comedy I find gratuitous use makes the joke unfunny, the correct use (if there is such a thing) makes the joke even funnier, but it takes a special talent for it to work.

But that is different from talking in every day life.

While I can't say I never swear, I can say I hardly ever swear. I find the use of foul language in regular conversation vulgar, However one of my all time favorite comedy skits was peter cook and dudley moore. "Derek & Clive"

It goes, "This bloke came up to me.................."

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I don't think you know what the fuck you are talking about.

I think if you don't know how to control your language for the situation and your audience then you should concentrate on eliminating using foul language altogether.

I say all type of niggas, motherfuckers, assholes, cunts, twats, shits, and whatnot but I know when not to say it.
    well
    i think i know exactly what I'm talking about
    and you are an example of how people are just lose the sense of how to recognize when to be polite and when to be not.
    I'm not your friend and i don't know you
    and this section is for serious conversations only
    so what the word f**k has to do with this
    you just said you know the proper time to use the foul language
    but this isn't the proper time nor the proper place so you just need to reconsider your post

In fact, those used to it don't think of it as foul....as foul meaning offensive.
    isn't that means it'll turn to a habit so you gonna use to talk foul language and even if you smart enough to know how to use it in the right time and place ; in the long run you won't be able to put limits .
    and let me ask you that; what's wrong with being polite i mean you rather like to use foul language than being polite.
    by using foul language you give people the right to use it towards you and if you get use it and foul expressions won't offend you that's will turn you to an ignorant.
    there was a time were foul language was been used only by peasants and beggars but now i saw well educated people use it and defending using it , what a petty
    Last edited by SAM; 08-20-2007 at 04:32 AM.

For Serving Community

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast