Thread: RIAA faces possible class action over suing the innocent

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "After the RIAA finished sending out a new batch of 503 "pre-litigation letters" to 58 different universities around the USA, offering to let students settle copyright infringement claims "at a discounted rate" before those claims go to trial, the group learned it was on the receiving end of a class action lawsuit. The development hopes to make a class out of those "who were sued or were threatened with sued by Defendants for file-sharing, downloading or other similar activities, who have not actually engaged in actual copyright infringement."

Single mom Tanya Andersen, a defendant in a previous lawsuit brought by the RIAA, sued the RIAA for malicious prosecution after her case was dismissed with prejudice (it cannot be refiled at a later date). Her attorney filed court documents in an Oregon federal court on Wednesday that seek to elevate the case to class action status (the first time that a judge has been asked such a request for such a case). In the complaint, Andersen alleges that the RIAA "has engaged in a coordinated enterprise to pursue a scheme of threatening and intimidating litigation in an attempt to maintain its music distribution monopoly." Andersen alleges that the RIAA has violated the RICO racketeering act and charges the organization with malicious prosecution. She is also going after the RIAA's investigative arm, SafeNet, formerly known as MediaSentry. This group allegedly "conducts illegal, flawed and negligent investigations for the RIAA and its controlled member companies.""

Source: Neowin.Net
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i tip my hat to Mrs. Andersen.

everybody send her gift baskets!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    it's about time someone gives the a taste of their own medicine! them bastages...
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    go Mrs Anderson give those smug bastards a taste of their own medicine.

really it's typical behavior from these pricks which we in the p2p community have realised for a long time now, the RIAA go after whoever they can get their claws into. often without evidence instead relying on the threat of their almost limitless resources to scare people off.

EDIT:

jasper you bastard stole the words right out of my mouth.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    yeaa finally what goes around comes around woop! nice one mrs anderson

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    How 'bout Mr. Anderson.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Stupid RIAA, taste of whats to come i reckon.