Thread: bitnation.com offline, fake whois

Bitnation.com seems to be down because the domain registrar has suspended the domain because the WHOIS owner information is invalid. Basically they gave a fake name or fake address.

Domain registrar's don't care provided they get paid. They only bother about invalid WHOIS details when someone complains which suggests to me that bitnation is on someone's radar. No surprise really.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodiv View Post
    Bitnation.com seems to be down because the domain registrar has suspended the domain because the WHOIS owner information is invalid. Basically they gave a fake name or fake address.

Domain registrar's don't care provided they get paid. They only bother about invalid WHOIS details when someone complains which suggests to me that bitnation is on someone's radar. No surprise really.
    Not too surprized either.
    They use U.S. servers to host their website last time I checked.
    SL in particular.
    Amongst other things they do on U.S. servers...
    (Which I wont mention)

I know another site alot have probably heard of recently had the same sort of issues with the domain name.

Still a sad thing to happen to a site.
    I know the owner and we used to get along quite well a while back. Though recently we had some differances of opinion.
    Hopefully they get their issues sorted and bring the site backup.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    yeah, they dont like when they try to call 212-121-2121 or try to find 123 main street, nowhere, NY.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by seppypom View Post
    yeah, they dont like when they try to call 212-121-2121 or try to find 123 main street, nowhere, NY.
    Registered to John C Doe
    123 main street, WTF, NY

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    There's still the idea of using a domain masking service to at least disable publishing your personal information into the whole net. Try google: whois protection and you'll find several companies who offer this, even international ones.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    There's still the idea of using a domain masking service to at least disable publishing your personal information into the whole net. Try google: whois protection and you'll find several companies who offer this, even international ones.
    While it makes it not available to anyone who looks up the domain info... It is still left on file and given away should an organization like the MPAA file a complaint against you and ask for the information.
    ^^^ This is more the main reason why they probably didnt want to use their real information. ^^^ Also due to the fact they use servers within the U.S. To host their torrent site. It is against the law in the U.S. to host torrents or even provide links to torrents. So basically would be way bad if someone reported them and they had their real info in the domain. By putting fake information it protects them at least a little better. Im sure they are still trackable by the methods they use to pay for the servers ect anyways.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    So are they dead?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    KevinGarnet's Avatar Filesharing lover BT Rep: +3
    for now yes..

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Aug-20-07 Site
    Site Problems
    We are currently experiencing problems with the dns servers, which is causing problems loading the domain. We are currently working on this situation & we apologize for any inconvenience it is causing you. If the domain stops working for you & you still want to visit BN you can do so with these urls:

http://bitnation.info | http://www.bitnation.eu/ | http://bitnation.eu/

for irc Chat just type this: /server -m 89.149.224.127:6667 and then join #bitnation