Thread: What's Wrong With [quotes]

echidna's Avatar Poster
    i was trying to use quotes here;
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?sho...30&#entry346413
    and the bb code doesn't get parsed into html by the board

i have had some weirdnesses using bb code before [mostly with lists]
    but i can't figure out what is making these quotes break
    is there a definitive document on bb code syntax anywhere?
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...&CODE=bbcode&s= is helpful, but doesn't cover how to attribute quotes [which i have tyred to copy from what the board produces when you click , which usually works]
    thanx in advance for any help e

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think the format is (QUOTE=quoted,2 July 2003 - 03:00) except with square brackets instead of round ones, so I'll try it

Originally posted by echidna@2 July 2003 - 02:41

echidna didn't write this at all
    Edit: that's it
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    that is exactly as i had understood it should work
    but if you check the post i linked to it doesn't work

so there is still a god ugly post here

anyone know any good bb code resources

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Originally posted by echidna@1 July 2003 - 21:49
    ... so there is still a god ugly post here ...
    echidna I'm seeing some extra words in those posts which are probably the case of your trouble:
    • [QUOTE=hobbes, Posted on 2 July 2003 - 09:19]
    You're adding "Posted on" which shouldn't be there for the code to produce the desired box around the text.

I think it's just easier to use the . Then you're assured the code is correct.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by tite-wad@2 July 2003 - 06:33
    I think he was trying to quote more than one person, in which you can only use the button for one of them.

Been there, etc...
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Out of The Ordinary
    Just write Their names and copy the part You want to quote

Example:

Name 1
    blah blah
    Yes

Name 2
    blah blah
    Yes

Name 3
    blah blah
    Yes

BOT

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    [QUOTE=tite-wad,2 July 2003 - 15:33]
    Quote Originally Posted by echidna,1 July 2003 - 21:49
    echidna I'm seeing some extra words in those posts which are probably the case of your trouble:
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes, Posted on 2 July 2003 - 09:19
    You're adding "Posted on" which shouldn't be there for the code to produce the desired box around the text.

^^^LOOK^^^IT'S^^^DONE^^^IT^^^AGAIN^^^
    it just failed in the same way in 'Preview Post', just from hitting the button,
    which is what i wanted to say had happened before

Note that there aren't any extra words used here it all came straight from the website after hitting !
    visually checking it it seems to hold structural syntax [apart from the list hack which tite wad cleaverly used to expose the bb code]

i've been making http internet objects since 1993, so i'm a n00b here but not everywhere else, so i've already :rtfaq:
    thanx for all of the revision from everyone :beerchug: , but i really did try to nut it out every way i knew before starting a new thread
    has this ever happened to any other members?
    i'm really stumped now that it has recurred, ive previously made much more complicated posts successfully :: is there a bug reporting process for IPB?

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Out of The Ordinary
    Originally posted by echidna+2 July 2003 - 15:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (echidna &#064; 2 July 2003 - 15:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>[/b]
    Originally posted by tite-wad@2 July 2003 - 15:33
    echidna I&#39;m seeing some extra words in those posts which are probably the case of your trouble:
    • <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes
    • @ Posted on 2 July 2003 - 09:19

You&#39;re adding "Posted on" which shouldn&#39;t be there for the code to produce the desired box around the text.

I think it&#39;s just easier to use the . Then you&#39;re assured the code is correct.
    [/quote]

^^^LOOK^^^IT&#39;S^^^DONE^^^IT^^^AGAIN^^^
    it just failed in the same way in &#39;Preview Post&#39;, just from hitting the button,

Note that there aren&#39;t any extra words used here it all came straight from the website after hitting &#33;
    visually checking it it seems to hold structural syntax [apart from the list hack which tite wad cleaverly used to expose the bb code]

i&#39;ve been making http internet objects since 1993, so i&#39;m a n00b here but not everywhere else, so i&#39;ve already :rtfaq:
    thanx for all of the revision from everyone :beerchug: , but i really did try to nut it out every way i knew before starting a new thread :huh:
    i&#39;m really stumped now that it has recurred, ive previously made much more complicated posts successfully :: is there a bug reporting process for IPB?
    I&#39;ll quote You and see....You can&#39;t have two of the same tags after each other, You need to close the first one first.

The wrong way:
    Code:
    &#91;Quote&#93;blah blah&#91;Quote&#93;blah blah&#91;/Quote&#93;
    There was still some open tags in Your post echidna.

BOT

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Originally posted by echidna+2 July 2003 - 08:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (echidna &#064; 2 July 2003 - 08:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by tite-wad@2 July 2003 - 15:33
    echidna I&#39;m seeing some extra words in those posts which are probably the case of your trouble:
    • <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes
    • @ Posted on 2 July 2003 - 09:19
    You&#39;re adding "Posted on" which shouldn&#39;t be there for the code to produce the desired box around the text.

I think it&#39;s just easier to use the .&nbsp; Then you&#39;re assured the code is correct.

^^^LOOK^^^IT&#39;S^^^DONE^^^IT^^^AGAIN^^^
    it just failed in the same way in &#39;Preview Post&#39;, just from hitting the button,

Note that there aren&#39;t any extra words used here it all came straight from the website after hitting &#33;

i&#39;ve been making http internet objects since 1993, so i&#39;m a n00b here but not everywhere else, so i&#39;ve already :rtfaq:
    thanx for all of the revision from everyone :beerchug: , but i really did try to nut it out every way i knew before starting a new thread
    i&#39;m really stumped now that it has recurred, ive previously made much more complicated posts successfully :: is there a bug reporting process for IPB?
    [/b][/quote]

[b][O][T] was right and wrong...

You can have quotes within a quote, but the problem was that you had left the first quote open.

All I did to get it to work properly was to add a "quote closure" at the end.