Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detached Hardware

samoyan's Avatar Comedy Club Resident BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I was cleaning my old processor today and I found one disconnected part. I don`t know what it is... I remember, I lost those things that were holding it. Now it is attached on one side and detached on the other.

Can I leave it like that or I need to buy a special glue to stick it back to motherboard?

proc1.JPG

proc2.jpg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    samoyan's Avatar Comedy Club Resident BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I just found out that the disconnected part is a 'northbridge'. As I understood that metallic box was made for attaching additional cooler to it. I didn`t have cooler there, so I should not worry about it. Am I right?

Ad: I also found out that the metallic box is a 'heatsink'.
    Last edited by samoyan; 08-11-2007 at 08:12 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    From the pics I can't see exactly what you mean, but from your description I think you are talking about the northbridge heatsink. If that's the case, you certainly do need to worry about getting it back into place, otherwise the north bridge chip will overheat and probably fail.

You should use thermal adhesive compound or thermal tape to stick it into place. This is NOT the same stuff that you use between the CPU and it's heatsink.
    Tape is usually cheaper for one-off use, you don't need to be quite as fussy about getting the surfaces spotlessly clean, and it is a lot less messy.

Here's an example

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    From the pics I can't see exactly what you mean, but from your description I think you are talking about the northbridge heatsink.
    Yeah, that's it alright and it looks to be one of those gawdawful hook and loop designs that Intel is so fond of.
    We see those imbedded hooks pull out of the motherboard all the time.

While you're pondering what a crap design the NB retention method is you should clean the CPU heatsink too...it's filthy.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thank you for your replies!

After cleaning the processor, I closed the box and plugged in the power cord. After that my power supply died...30 minutes ago. I had green light blinking and some strange noise was coming from PSU. I went to the store to buy a new PSU 500W (previous one was 300W). The store where I bought PSU has a tech department and I asked one of technicians how to attach the heatsink back to northbridge and he said: "...there`s no way to fix this...you can`t attach it back to northbridge because you have broken mounting tabs. Just leave it like that, it won`t overheat. It is southbridge that needs more cooling."

But from your posts and from other articles I found on Google, I figured out that it is important to keep northbridge cool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1) Do you know any programs that can show me the temperatures of motherboard (northbridge, southbridge) and CPU?

2) If I have broken mounting tabs, can I still fix my heatsink?

Thank you.
    Last edited by samoyan; 08-11-2007 at 11:28 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I found my motherboard images and specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00208497&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=432780&lang=en

c00297774.jpg

I marked that partly disconnected thing with red arrow.
    Last edited by samoyan; 08-12-2007 at 12:14 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by samoyan View Post
    The store where I bought PSU has a tech department and I asked one of technicians how to attach the heatsink back to northbridge and he said: "...there`s no way to fix this...you can`t attach it back to northbridge because you have broken mounting tabs. Just leave it like that, it won`t overheat. It is southbridge that needs more cooling."
    That store does NOT have a tech department.

As lynx previously posted, you can glue the heatsink back on using specially formulated thermal adhesive.
    Trying to repair the pulled out hook is usually not successful (you may have guessed that I think it's a terrible design).

Speedfan is one program that might give you the info you want...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thank you lynx and clocker!
    I`ll try to follow your advices.

I ordered:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PQ5-5025 Thermal Tape (5 Pieces)
    50151 ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier (60ml Kit)
    50212 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5grams
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will use ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier to remove old thermal grease. And then I have two options, either to use thermal tapes or thermal compound. Which one do you recommend to use? I`ll have to remove the heatsink from two remaining mounting tabs because without those broken tabs I feel resistance when I try to straighten it out. I don`t think thermal compounds or tapes will stand that resistance.
    Last edited by samoyan; 08-12-2007 at 08:36 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yes, remove the other retaining tabs.
    You'll have to use the thermal tape..Arctic Silver is just a paste, not an adhesive.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    TDC SysOp
    thats a passiv northbridge cooler does not need any plugs. and it is only small clips to fasten it.
    Last edited by Nightmeare; 08-12-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast